Talk

Advanced search

Should I say something to the teacher?

(16 Posts)
Elkat Fri 08-Aug-08 20:49:15

My DD is starting school in September and is already a good reader (ORT level 4/5)... I wasn't planning on saying anything to the teacher about it, I didn't mention anything to preschool, thinking they'd figure it out for themselves. But I had her report from preschool home the other day, and for her reading, they have placed her ability at the yellow stepping stone (below average - the ability of a typical three year old). This information has been sent off to her school. Now I am in a quandry - should I say something to her new school teacher? I don't want to come across as a pushy mum, but at the same time, if she managed to pull the wool over the eyes of her preschool for the last year, can't she do the same at primary? I am also concerned that I don't want her to get bored, as she can be very naughty when she gets bored - she likes to cause mischief to entertain herself, usually in the form of winding up her friends. What would you do? And if you would say something, how would you say it, so as not to be a 'pushy mum' type?? Thanks.

PhyllidaPoisson Fri 08-Aug-08 20:50:34

I'd leave it for now.
The school will assess her during the first term, and you can always add a comment in her home/school link book after a few weeks. smile

coppertop Fri 08-Aug-08 20:54:42

I would leave it. The teacher will be working from their own assessments of your dd rather than the report from the pre-school.

TeacherSaysSo Fri 08-Aug-08 21:06:12

Definitely leave it. Pre school has very different standards, the infant school will be looking at academic achievement more thoroughly.

constancereader Fri 08-Aug-08 21:13:26

The teacher will notice.
If they don't then I would point it out later.

LynetteScavo Fri 08-Aug-08 21:18:33

I would say something.(But I'm obviosly in a minority) DS missed a year of apropriate teaching, as the school he was decided he was average. I didn't want to look pushy and disagree. You would't belive how many times I've kicked myself, and how bored he got. The result? They moved him down a group. angry Needless to say he is no longer at that school.

I would mention it at the home visit.

constancereader Fri 08-Aug-08 21:33:53

Thinking about it though, you wouldn't sound pushy if you did mention it (I was a teacher). If you are worried then bring it up! If you are worried about sounding pushy then you probably won't sound pushy iyswim.

brimfull Fri 08-Aug-08 21:39:44

I would say something,but not in a pushy way as I'm sure you wouldn't

Elkat Fri 08-Aug-08 21:56:19

Thanks all for the advice. I think I'll leave it until the half term, allow her time to settle in and the teacher to get to know her, and maybe say something then if she's still on pre-reading books.

Isabellasmam Fri 08-Aug-08 22:04:16

i wouls assume there will be a parents evening to see howthey are settling in. mention it then, if not i would definately mention it, i'm a secondary teacher but have never been bothered by parents who want to talk about their childs progress.

Heated Fri 08-Aug-08 22:19:18

There will be loads going on to keep your dd occupied at the beginning when she starts school and the first term until Christmas will in all likelihood be tiring for her too, so you might not find her teacher pushing her a lot out of school hours. Personally I'd ensure that dc had access to plenty of good reading at home and make the library part of your routine if it isn't already so the love of reading remains a pleasure.

mrz Sat 09-Aug-08 13:56:50

Did your daughter attend pre school full time for a year? Did you ask the pre school about their assessment?
As a reception teacher I would be concerned about a child arriving in my class still working in yellow stepping stones so would appreciate a parent's point of view which is a requirement of EYFS anyway.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 09-Aug-08 14:05:43

do you have a home visit?
ds1 started last year and was ORT 4/5 when he started (my mum had taught him). I told the teacher on the home visit. She started him on ORT 3 (equivalent - they don't do a single scheme), but moved him up pretty quickly.
IMO it would be completely pointless to have her reading pre-readers for half a term, or more.

Elkat Sat 09-Aug-08 18:39:06

Mrz - Yes, she did go to preschool full time for the last academic year. I did ask them about the assessment, and got the impression that she might have given them the idea that she can't read (if there's a chance to play with friends - she'd much rather do that, so wouldn't be surprised if she just said she couldn't do something, just so she could go off and do what her friends were doing - she is a bit of a social butterfly grin

CS - No we don't get a home visit, so no real chance to say anything there.

I wasn't going to say anything, but the thought does keep nagging me, that if she managed to convince the preschool that she couldn't read... and she can be really manipulative when she wants to be grin

mrz Sat 09-Aug-08 19:04:19

Elkat tmany of ELGs for reading don't require a child to be able to "read" for example "Retells narratives in the correct sequence,
drawing on language patterns of stories" which children often do in their play and "Shows an
understanding of the elements of stories, such as main character, sequence of events and
openings" which is often seen at story time. Assessment in pre school should be from observing your daughter playing with her friends so her being a "social butterfly" wouldn't be an issue provided the staff know what to look for.

pudding25 Sat 09-Aug-08 21:22:20

I would give her a couple of weeks to settle in and then mention it to the teacher. I teach yr 1 and would want to know things like that from a parent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now