Talk

Advanced search

PFB first school uniform worry that no-one can help me with!!

(28 Posts)
Waswondering Thu 31-Jul-08 22:16:20

I'm panicking that my beloved PFB has yet to acquire school trousers or school shoes for starting school 3 weeks on Tuesday. Is this unfounded? It's bad enough seeing pages of posts about suitable boys shoes, without the worry that Aberdeen won't have size 11 black shoes for sale within the next 21 days, with my PFB contemporaries stating the local shoe shops are warning them that they might run out!!

But I have an even larger worry. One that is causing me to fret or lose sleep.

You see, ds's uniform list states that he is to have either(!) a painting smock or one of dad's old shirts. (Did it offer a mum's shirt, she muses, and I assume it wouldn't need to be Boden? No, it's a north of Scotland state primary. Lyle and Scott golfing shirt perhaps, then!! Or Burberry?)

AAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!

What if I get it wrong and he is the only one in the class to be wearing the shirt of daddy's that I've been trying to tactfully get rid of for the last 4 years.

Or worse, what if he has a brand new mothercare painting smock in primary colours with cute velcro fastenings, and everyone around him is wearing dad's M&S checked "Blue Harbour" castoffs?

Is there anyone out there with a "feel" for this, or do I do what a friend suggested and ride it out for the first couple of days and have a tactful word with the teacher about approrpriate painting wear?

Or am I worrying too much??

smile
hmm

claricebeansmum Thu 31-Jul-08 22:20:12

Get shoes now.
They will run out of shoes - it does happen. I would leave is max for another week but then my DC have awkward feet...

Give him an old shirt to paint in - if it is wrong you can nip out and buy him one but TBH I am not sure reception kids worry whether it's Boden or Burberry.

Candlewax Thu 31-Jul-08 22:25:21

You have made me smile.

Your ds can have one of dad's shirts that you have been trying to get rid of for years. They wear them back to front anyway! None of the children will be comparing their shirts!!! They will be looking forward to what they are going to paint.

As for shoes, if your ds has a normal size, you could try ordering them online from somewhere like Marks & Spencers. A big company like that should almost certainly have them in stock. If they are no good, you can always take them back to the Aberdeen branch. My DH comes from Aberdeen so I can picture the store in my head.grin

Good luck! It is always nerve wracking for the parents when the children start school. The children don't worry but we do!grin

MamaGLovesMe Thu 31-Jul-08 22:26:52

Worrying too much grin

If you know there is a chance the shoes will run out, get to the shop now! (Well, in the morning)

Send him in with dad's old shirt. Why waste money on something that will only get ruined?

Waswondering Thu 31-Jul-08 22:30:11

They wear them back to front!!! What an epiphany . . . I did wonder . . . oh my, I have so much to learn and am determined to be such a nice, supportive mum too!!

Short sleeves or long??

Does it matter?

(Whispers) please?

MamaGLovesMe Thu 31-Jul-08 22:31:53

Long

Get short sleeved unifrom shirt sleeves though

Waswondering Thu 31-Jul-08 22:33:24

Ah! I have that - short sleeved polos. at the moment, his uniform is dressed from the waist up.

It's below the waist that he hasn't got, and one would argue that's perhaps a crucial part of it!!

MamaGLovesMe Thu 31-Jul-08 22:34:03

Yep. He definitely needs trousers. grin

sarararararah Fri 01-Aug-08 09:15:58

Long sleeved shirt - but cut it off so that it is the right length for him otherwise they get their sleeves in the paint. IME (I'm a teacher) an old shirt is far better than a bought apron. Good luck! I'm sure he'll love it!

Hulababy Fri 01-Aug-08 09:19:35

DD's uniform includes a painting apron. We ave to get a red one, regulation one for school, available from John Lewis.

Waswondering Fri 01-Aug-08 09:45:16

You see Hula, that's so much better - one thing, all the same, no concern for the parent about doing the wrong thing!!

smile

RuffleTheAnimal Fri 01-Aug-08 09:51:13

make it quite thick fabric (the old shirt) or the paints will just soak straight through, no? i reckon id love an old shirt of dad's. it'll be a bit of home and he'll be able to recognise it in the pile to find it easily when its painting time.

trousers (or shorts) are easy peasy, they sell em everywhere. note that they are often available with the adjustable waist elastic thing inside them.

we'll have to go looking for shoes soon... thanks for the reminder. and the humourous post! smile

Waswondering Fri 01-Aug-08 09:57:23

Would love shorts but I don't think any of the children at the school wear shorts which is a shame as it hides the whole length issue! (ie short shorts are fine; short trousers above the ankles not so great!!)

ReallyTired Fri 01-Aug-08 10:02:27

State primary schools (in England at least) are usually pretty relaxed about uniform within reason. They aren't allowed to be too strict. Provided your child has some shoes that fit it doesn't matter what he wears.

I would be wary how quickly children out grow shoes in the summer.

RuffleTheAnimal Fri 01-Aug-08 10:06:20

its either/or at our place. so far ds1 usually wants long trousers and short sleeves, and ds2 wants shorts and long sleeves. or the other way round. summink like that. anyhoo, ds3 will be in uniform in sept too and he's titchy so they'll all look sooooooooooooooooo cute! i'll have one in nursery, one in reception and 1 in yr 1, all in the same place.

i have volunteered to work in the school second hand uniform shop now (cunning)

Smithagain Fri 01-Aug-08 19:18:06

Get shoes now - I came unstuck when everyone ran out two years ago. Clever me thought I'd be fine going after the beginning of term (DD started in week 3), to avoid the rush. Big mistake. No rush, but no shoes either.

I DID manage to buy her a lovely painting apron, as instructed in the uniform list. Only to be told airily by the reception teacher that "we have loads in school, no need for that". So why was it on the list then ? Grrr.

hairycaterpillar Fri 01-Aug-08 19:28:53

Oh I used to wear my dads shirts back to front for painting at primary school...paint does soak through though (but maybe I was just particularly messy!)

Waswondering Fri 01-Aug-08 19:38:01

HC!!! (Waves very enthusiastically!)

How are you doing? I hear you're moving and delighted to hear it and hope all goes well for you and ds starting school!

You see, I have absolutely no recollection of ever painting at primary school, at all!! I remember breaking a bit of balsa wood accidentally that was supposed to make a mother's day tulip - mum's had a very short stem on it blush - but that, and my napkin for lunches, is about it. How random.

(I also remember having compulsory lovely school lunches wtih the tables properly set and being relieved on jelly days as you only got a spoon for pudding then, rather than a spoon and dessert fork, and 29 years later I still have difficulties with dessert forks! But I digress very far from the OP with that irrelevant memory!!!)

brimfull Fri 01-Aug-08 19:42:19

ds's school asked them to come with a painting shirt-I seemed to miss this and sent him without anything.
I heloed out last yr and never saw any of the shirts being worn ,they all wore the school's shirts,same with the cooking aprons I saw unused in the pe bags.Not needed at all.

So don't lose any sleep over it.

tassisssss Fri 01-Aug-08 19:46:38

I think you should get shoes and trousers this weekend. Get it nailed. I know there's the back issue, but you do want to get this done.

Alternatively send your dh to Marks to get 2 pairs of the £12 adjustable waist trousers in an age 5 and 2 pairs of the £7 ones and see which you like best. Afraid the 3 for 2 offer is over and online's saying delivery's about 2 weeks.

Don't forget school socks. Gym bag, gym shorts and gym shoes? We like the £2 gym shoes with velcro that M&S do and my top tip is to buy the next size too as if (like we've done the past 2 years) you need the next size in the 8 week run up to Christmas they'll be hard to find (at least they are in our piddly M&S).

hairycaterpillar Fri 01-Aug-08 19:52:46

Hi! Yes moving and can't wait!

Ds starts school at different school from where he went to nursery, but he seems unphased and really excited. I, however, am full of worries; Will he make friends? Will he find the toilets? Are his polo shirts too big? What does he need in his pencil case?

My work has delayed my start by 30mins on the first day of school. They keep telling me I'll be in no condition to work until I've gone through a box of tissues and had a strong cup of tea!

Hope you get your Ds his trousers and shoes and the first week goes well for you both.

Waswondering Fri 01-Aug-08 20:49:41

I got shoes today, and found that I was totally ridiculous and welled up with tears as he walked around the shop saying "these are very good mummy". I mean, they were only black shoes for goodness sake, but I still welled up!!

Good advice from work HC - I'm seeing students from 10am that morning. That should be good. Or maybe not!! I have 2 colleagues who also have ds's (pfbs too) starting this August, so we're in the same boat.

Tass - thanks for the reminder on things like gym bag. Need to do that and might do it on Monday - want to do it just me and ds and incorporate lunch. Good too to think about next size of gym shoes.

Typical I miss the 3 for 2. Just like I missed the Next sale . . . grin

Had a thought today that I need to get a homework kit ready too in an accessible place - pencil/ruler/rubber/pritt-stick and Argos catalogue (which apparently is recommended at school as a source of phonic sounds!!!)

smile

Candlewax Fri 01-Aug-08 21:25:00

Waswondering, take a camera with you on the first day. I still treasure the photo I have of my ds outside his school on the first day. Even better is the one of him in the pretend telephone box that the children can play in on the playground. He looks so sweet.

And, take lots of tissues and no crying until he's gone in!

Good luck to you both!smile

Waswondering Fri 01-Aug-08 21:33:04

Candlewax - thanks for the reminder - dh is surgically attached to his cameras grin so there will be the front door shot, the garden shot, the playground shot, the arty one in the playground willow tunnel, the hand-on-school-door shot, and the pose with the classroom teacher who won't have anything else to do at that moment . . . grin

I can't believe it's 3 weeks on Tuesday!

tassisssss Fri 01-Aug-08 21:45:12

So glad you got shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now