Talk

Advanced search

Help with reading for a 5 y o

(14 Posts)
larahusky Mon 28-Jul-08 21:28:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hulababy Mon 28-Jul-08 21:31:04

How about looking at Jolli Ohonics as purely phonics approach?

There is another scheme recommended a lot of MN - will go and search and see if I can find it.

christywhisty Mon 28-Jul-08 22:06:00

My dc's learnt with Jolly phonics , DS is dslexic and couldn't do word recognition and have been told by his senco that the reason he reads well is because he was taught phonics properly.

Jolly phonics at ELC

SummerNights Mon 28-Jul-08 22:09:25

I agree - try the jolly phonics handbook, and the DVD is excellent for teaching children to read. The CD we found useful too, especially for car journeys, as it reinforces the sounds in a fun way.

I found Jelly and Bean very good as first readers - very simple, but enchanting pictures with simple text and no guessing!
Once she is more confident the Jolly readers and ORT phonics books are good too.

I helped both my dcs to read this way and dd at 7 is now a free reader on Famous Five etc and ds at 5.9 has recently graduated to 'chapter' books - he loves the 'superpower' books - so it really does work!

Have fun and good luck

RusselBrussel Mon 28-Jul-08 22:14:47

Dd has just finished reception and we have found jolly phonics brilliant. All the letter sounds have a little action and little song attached to them - so the children are not even aware they are learning as such...

(but if I have to listen to "ants on my arm, ah ah ah, ants on my arm, ah ah ah, ants on my arm, ah ah ah, causing me alarm" one more time I will cry wink)

Littlefish Mon 28-Jul-08 22:17:22

If she's finding it hard to recognise and put together sounds, then steer well clear of ORT. ORT is a "sight vocabulary" scheme.

I would second other people's recommendations of Jolly Phonics, or the Ruth Miskin phonics scheme. See if you can find some phonic reading books as well. There's a range called "superphonics" I seem to remember.

larahusky Mon 28-Jul-08 22:19:06

larahusky Mon 28-Jul-08 22:19:07

larahusky Mon 28-Jul-08 22:40:30

Feenie Mon 28-Jul-08 22:42:28

Floppy phonics are v good if she knows and likes the ORT characters already.

smartiejake Tue 29-Jul-08 08:16:25

Agree that phonics are crucial and jolly phonics is great but another idea is to make your own books.

Write stories together and draw pictures to go with them or take photos of activities you have done over the holidays and write captions to go with them.

Make it meaningful to her. Yes she may start by memorising the words but eventually the words will click (and with the best will in the world there are some words that your just cant sound out and these sight words still need to be learnt.)

I also made games with my dd when she was the same age as yours.

Write words on fish shapes (can be phonic patterns- cat bat fat etc) Attach paper clips and use on of those little magnetic fishing rods to catch words or sentences- bit like old fashioned flash cards but with a bit more fun involved. Or if she's not quite ready for whole words just use the letters and build words.Try making words and letters out of clay- some kids get it better when it is something they can physically touch.

Get her involved in the Library challenge- it doesn't matter if they can't read- both my dds were 2 when they started these and loved getting out the books and collecting all the stickers.

Most importantly- read to her lots and lots and lots.

ReallyTired Tue 29-Jul-08 10:09:30

I would get her to practice blending simple 3 letter words. You can make it a bit more fun by having a letter box. If she gets it right then she "posts" the word, otherwise its goes to the bottom of the pile. The Jolly Phonics handbook has lists of suitable words.

For reading books I suggest you get some jelly and bean books

Theya are completely decodable and would build your daughter's confidence.

mrz Tue 29-Jul-08 16:23:35

www.roythezebra.com/about-reading-with-roy.html
www.getreadingright.com/Letters_sounds_resources.htm

larahusky Tue 29-Jul-08 19:24:24

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now