Talk

Advanced search

Tell me this isn't going to be a problem....

(61 Posts)
linney Mon 21-Jul-08 18:11:25

I'm a namechanging regular because I think people in RL know who I am and this is someone else's secret.

The head teacher of our primary school is gay and plans to come out in September - he's been Head for a year and was deputy head for two years before and he's reasonably popular and very effective. He's found it hard being "in the closet" this year and has told the governors he doesn't want to keep it secret any more.

As a bunch of average parents, please tell me whether you would have a problem with this - and how you would receive the information. I'm of the "Oh are you? Have another cup of tea" persuasion myself - but I am aware that not everyone is as relaxed about such matters. Or are they? Opinions, please.

bellavita Mon 21-Jul-08 18:18:08

As long as he does the job properly, I would not give a hoot.

gegs73 Mon 21-Jul-08 18:18:31

Wouldn't bother me at all and wouldn't make him any better or worse at his job.

RubyRioja Mon 21-Jul-08 18:20:11

Well, unless he dances to ymca, I don't suppose it will be a big deal.
tbh I think it is good that parents have got to know him and see that he is good at his job before coming out - from his persepctive.

Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 18:20:30

I wouldn't mind in the slightest

PestoMonster Mon 21-Jul-08 18:20:31

Same as Bellavita

unfitmother Mon 21-Jul-08 18:20:46

Is it a faith school? If not I can't envisage any problems.
How is he intending to come out, send a letter, have an assembly or just generally let it be known?

RubyRioja Mon 21-Jul-08 18:20:52

I meant to say in a leather vest in the playground...RR completes her stereotype

hoxtonchick Mon 21-Jul-08 18:21:50

this wouldn't be an issue for me at all.

Madlentileater Mon 21-Jul-08 18:22:19

I would stick my neck out and say it's positively good for children to have positive gay role models, whatever sexuality they end up with themselves. But I am probably not typical. Not sure if MN will accurately rfelect your school population. I imagine NUT would have some helpful guidance.

sarah293 Mon 21-Jul-08 18:22:21

Message withdrawn

ProfessorGrammaticus Mon 21-Jul-08 18:22:34

Wouldn't be at all bothered - unless he's planning on discussing it with the kids!

RusselBrussel Mon 21-Jul-08 18:24:36

Not at all bothered, in fact I would welcome it. It takes all sorts to make the world go round, and as long as it does not affect his ability to do his job then fine by me.

RubyRioja Mon 21-Jul-08 18:25:21

I meant not a prob for me, I daresay there will be a few dissenters.

I wonder why he feels the need to 'come out' though. I would have thought heads' sexuality is pretty irrelevant. Whichever it was.

Or is he getting married/civil partnered? I guess that might mean he needs to be more public

TheFallenMadonna Mon 21-Jul-08 18:27:13

God no. I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 21-Jul-08 18:27:46

no problem to me

MrsWeasley Mon 21-Jul-08 18:27:58

I am with the "madlentileater" on this one. It wouldnt bother me at all, not one tiny little bit.

cazzybabs Mon 21-Jul-08 18:28:09

I wouldn't care

constancereader Mon 21-Jul-08 18:28:14

I would not consider his sexuality any of my business.

Romy7 Mon 21-Jul-08 18:31:34

not as long as it wasn't made an issue out of...
i'm a bit baffled about the hoo ha - why was it/ how was it a secret in the first place? why still in the closet? or is there a huge marker coming up that will make an issue out of it? i can't even see how it would come up in conversation...
no issues here really...

nell12 Mon 21-Jul-08 18:33:09

I did my PGCE with a gay man; he has never had any issues with parents and now is happily settled as an infant teacher in a local school.

There will be the odd pillock parent who has a problem, but as long as the head teacher has governor, staff and a reasonable amount of parental support, it will not be a problem for long.

Good luck to him

Heated Mon 21-Jul-08 18:34:37

No, it wouldn't be an issue. In fact I've always been a bit mystified about 'coming out' as if it's something that needs to be announced; but maybe it's a bit different if you have a leading role in the community?

The head teacher of my old school is gay; it was not a factor in his appointment nor an issue when he turned up with his partner at staff functions. He does not bring his partner though to student functions which is his choice.

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 21-Jul-08 18:37:22

I wouldn't think a gay man has any more interest in small boys than a straight man has in small girls! he's gay, not a paedophile, and there is no relation between the two.

Madlentileater Mon 21-Jul-08 18:46:30

I can see why coming out needs to happen. Think how casually heterosexuals come out. they just say 'oh yes, my husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend is a very keen gardener/plays tennis/does all the cooking' and nobody bats an eyelid, but if a gay person says it, then it's about their sexuality, not some minor point of information about their home life.

MacSupermum Mon 21-Jul-08 18:48:53

I would imagine most parents either know or suspect he's gay anyway - there are usually signs. No big deal. Nobody sensible bothers about that kind of thing anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now