Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is the point of ds's nursery school teacher coming for a home visit on Tuesday?

(53 Posts)
Collision Fri 18-Jul-08 10:52:26

Is it (as she says)

a) because the children love it when she comes to their houses hmm

and

b) so that we can discuss anything privately that I might not wish to discuss at school

or (as I think)

a) so she can look at my house and make a judgement

and

b) she is being a nosey bag! grin

This is sort of tongue in cheek as I dont mind if she comes over but what is the point?

Ds2 is 3yrs old. He will start nursery in Sept in the afternoons and will not give one hoot if she comes to his house or not. He doesnt start for another 6 weeks and will prob forget she came anyway. I have nothing private to discuss with her!

WWYD?? and WDYThink?

lazaroulovesleggings Fri 18-Jul-08 10:54:18

That sounds really insane. Never heard of that before.

lazaroulovesleggings Fri 18-Jul-08 10:55:17

Is she mary poppins?

objectivity Fri 18-Jul-08 10:55:37

It's just some weirdy protocol that came about due to pfb behaviour from other parents,historically?

FluffyMummy123 Fri 18-Jul-08 10:56:33

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Fri 18-Jul-08 10:56:52

Message withdrawn

Collision Fri 18-Jul-08 11:02:59

I am thinking she does want to check the skirting (LOL!) and do feel a bit under pressure to clean and clean and clean!

She is 6ft, very broad and Scottish! She does scare me and the thought of sitting with her to chat is making me wet my pants! grin

I am on the PTA, am CRB checked, help at school weekly etc I just dont see the point of it.

<<I might wimp out and cancel!>>

onepieceoflollipop Fri 18-Jul-08 11:05:38

They don't do these visits where I am. I wouldn't mind though.

Flier Fri 18-Jul-08 11:07:42

god, i'd mind that, seems way ott, i'd cancel.

cmotdibbler Fri 18-Jul-08 11:09:06

The school my mum used to work at did this routinely for all new starters. It really did let parents talk a bit more freely when they were on their own turf about the child, and meant that the teacher could see what the child was really like.

halster Fri 18-Jul-08 12:25:07

At our school they say that the kids settle in much better once they have met and chatted with the teacher on their own turf. We had all three of her teachers sat on our sofa in a row sipping tea while dd ran around saying things like "why did you turn the telly off mummy?". It was good fun.

Sassafrass Fri 18-Jul-08 12:25:53

Our dd is starting preschool in september and her keyworker will be coming for a home visit about two weeks before to talk to us and dd about preschool. She says she also brings a book with lots of photos showing what they do at school. She also told us that she couldn't care less how tidy the house is =)

hoxtonchick Fri 18-Jul-08 12:27:06

ds had a home visit before he started reception. they really don't care what your house looks like. i think they're a great idea.

KatieScarlett2833 Fri 18-Jul-08 12:29:00

Ours did that too, it was lovely. It helped my children to get to know their keyworker on their turf (as it were). Sure, they were probably examining the house, but I'm sure the HV did that too. Twas fine.

Sidge Fri 18-Jul-08 12:30:56

We had this before DD2 started pre-school.

It's an opportunity for them to meet your child on a one-to-one basis (that ain't gonna happen once they're at pre-school, it's bedlam!) and find out more about your child, what they like, don't like etc. It also gives your child a chance to meet the teacher on their own patch.

IME they don't give a hoot what your house is like, as long as you offer them a cup of tea!

Spatz Fri 18-Jul-08 12:33:45

Our school does it - apparently it helps children settle. She took a pic of DS and showed the other children before he started. We walked in and a little boy came over and said hello and used his name, which I thought was really nice.

Didn't occur to me to clean... obviously a slut!

I liked it and it did make me feel I'd had a chance to get to know the teacher a little.

eenybeeny Fri 18-Jul-08 12:38:48

I would love it! I really want to know the people who are looking after DS when he starts preschool next Easter. And I am a born entertainer! grin Wouldnt bother me a bit!

mrz Fri 18-Jul-08 18:20:59

My advice is turn your TV OFF when the teacher visits, it's the main criteria we judge parents on at my school.

Collision Fri 18-Jul-08 22:08:23

LOL mrz!!

When the HV came to visit as we were a new family to the area we were making finger puppets out of crafty stuff and the HV said it was a nice change to see a clean home and clean children having fun and playing!!!!

hmm made me wonder what horrors she sees!

So you dont think that TV ie Jeremy Kyle would be a good thing to be doing when she arrives?

I still think I might cancel!

mrz Sat 19-Jul-08 08:13:03

I'm not joking ...honestly in the past TWO YEARS only one family turned off the TV during the visit (which is only brief) and maybe half a dozen turned the volume down. Perhaps the worst were the couple who answered the door in dressing gowns at 2pm (and were expecting the visit) shock and another who stuffed the baby between the couch cushions to have a smoke hmm

smartiejake Sat 19-Jul-08 08:46:17

You judge parents?

allgonebellyup Sat 19-Jul-08 08:48:49

oh god

our school is doing this.

i feel like its an intrusion, that they want to have a nose.

My mum is a teacher at a school where they do home visits, she says they do go back to the staffroom full of tittle tattle about all the families/homes they have seen hmm

mrz Sat 19-Jul-08 09:26:49

smartiejake judge is a bad choice of words. I would assume if I invited you into my home for a chat you would expect me not to have Tricia or Phil & Fern chatting loudly in the corner. IMO it's basic manners and maybe I'm naive in expecting people to cope for 15 mins without them or a cigarette.

mosschops30 Sat 19-Jul-08 09:29:37

I think its terribly nosey, my mother is horrified that ds's new teacher will be doing a home visit in september.
How did schools ever manage before they were allowed to intrude into our homes???

IMHO its pure noseiness, no need for it whatsoever

mrz Sat 19-Jul-08 09:33:26

mosschops30 no it's not nosiness it's government legislation hmm I'd much rather stay in school with the children and have them visit me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now