Talk

Advanced search

DD7 reading comprehension needs help?

(10 Posts)
lexcat Thu 17-Jul-08 09:05:05

Just had her report and was surprised to see she only got a 2a for reading thoough she was prediced to get a 3. Was told by teacher her reading is easily level 3 but the comprehension is very bad which meant she was marked down.
We had the problem of going from an avid reader to almost stopping reading for pleasure about easter time. I have worked on this and she is reading again for pleasure but not the way she use too.
Hoping to work on the comprehension in the hoilday as I don't want it to hold her back in y3 as I have aready been told she should stick to shorter easier books. She has just discovered longer books and that's how she got back into reading. The short book where boring her.

Sassafrass Thu 17-Jul-08 16:01:42

Try reading books together and discuss the story and the characters. Ask her to predict what might happen as well as talking about why something happened, why someone did something or said something. What I find most pupils find most difficult is talking about why the author chose certain phrases or words, so that might be worth working on as well.

lexcat Thu 17-Jul-08 17:48:22

We are reading books together but teacher is telling me she should be reading in her head more and that's when the comprehension goes out the window.
I don't see their is a problem with what she reads to me but when they are tested they read in their heads and that's when it goes out the window.

southeastastra Thu 17-Jul-08 17:58:11

why are you worrying it's a good grade, worry when you get grades like my ds

lexcat Thu 17-Jul-08 18:12:57

I worry because it the one thing about school literacy she really loved's, then lost interest. She is just getting the interest back and don't want her to lose it because she gets held back or even put back a level were the books hold no interest for her.

tortoiseSHELL Thu 17-Jul-08 18:48:31

I guess that illustrates the point that reading isn't just a question of knowing what the words say, it's understanding both the meaning of the sentence, and the meaning of the page within the context of the book.

If I were you, then over the holidays, go to the library, find some lovely books that she will really enjoy, get her to read a chapter, and then either tell you what happened, or get her to draw a picture illustrating the chapter.

Sassafrass Thu 17-Jul-08 19:16:59

If you read the book yourself first, then when she reads it, she can read it quietly to herself and you can still discuss it together.

Or,

help her find really enjoyable books to read over the summer with no pressure what so ever on reading comprehension. Perhaps she just needs to improve her silent reading skills first and then comprehension will follow. Libraries often have special scemes in the summer to encourage reading. Enjoying books is definately the most important.

WedgiesMum Thu 17-Jul-08 22:28:53

But 2a is a good grade. I don't understand your problem about this. 2b is average for this age and 2a is above average so my guess would be that she is near the top of her class - the reading sat is a comprehension exercise and 2a is in no way 'very bad' it is in fact very good.

Please don't make her work at comprehension during the holidays thinking that she is bad at it she isn't, her results show this.

kid Thu 17-Jul-08 22:32:22

I think its a good grade too.
When they leave Y2, the average grade is a 2B, so the fact that she got a 2A shows she is above the expected level.

My DD is just about to leave Y4 and she got a 2B. I have been advised to listen to her read and ask questions as we go along. It can be a long book, but we should still discuss what she has read as we go along to help her understand what she read. DD was recently identified as having dyslexia so at least I can now understand why she finds it difficult. It has been a very frustrating 2 years to get to this point.

RusselBrussel Thu 17-Jul-08 22:35:08

Let her read the books she wants to read. Then at night, when she is in bed, you read it.
Then, very informally, over the next few days, discuss the book with her.
Don't ask her: 'who is the main character and why did he...' but make it like a discussion: 'I think the main character did this but I am not sure why, what do you think?'
The above has worked wonders on my ds (age 8) who until 2 terms ago was on Early Literacy Support and was not a happy reader. He now happily tackles and discusses Harry Potter or any of the Horrible Science series, and his literacy has improved so much he has moved into the middle set for it! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now