Talk

Advanced search

If you are a teacher, what present would you like to receive at the end of term?

(100 Posts)
MrsSylar Wed 16-Jul-08 11:52:27

Am totally stuck and don't know what to buy.

Toiletries and chocolate - too boring?.

Are vouchers too clinical and not personal enough? If not, from where? M and S is all I can think of.

Please help!

DorrisMcWhirter Wed 16-Jul-08 11:55:55

Wine - always good!
Vouchers for big stores e.g. M&S, Next etc were always very gratefully received.
Cheap but cheerful chunky jewellery was a winner with me, but depends on the teacher I suppose.
Handmade card by your Ds/Dd will be kept and cherished - I still have all of mine.

MyDingaling Wed 16-Jul-08 11:56:59

My favourite present last year was a garden gnome! I have no idea why the girl in my class bought it as I don't have any others but I love it!

SueW Wed 16-Jul-08 12:04:58

Not an orchid. I'm terrified I'm going to kill mine.

bambi06 Wed 16-Jul-08 12:08:04

my kids made homemade chocolate brownies last year plus i got some plain cake boxes from the bakery and they decorated them..hope the teachers liked them..i thought it was ainner myself just to see the kids proud faces...as a teacher would you have liked that or not..

iBundle Wed 16-Jul-08 12:09:12

i did jam last year and hopefully will do again on thurs night (leaving it a bit late emoticon)

MrsSylar Wed 16-Jul-08 12:11:02

Oh no!
You are making me feel inadequate!!
Homemade jam and brownies! (panic emoticon)
Maybe vouchers are the way to go....

pointydog Wed 16-Jul-08 12:14:51

a hand made card with a memory or two inside, or a little rhyme

teafortwo Wed 16-Jul-08 12:15:03

grinHello MrsSylar I am a teecha and miy bestist prezunts at the ende ov the yeer ave bin...

* A nice bottle of wine.

* A big beady necklace.

* A letter thanking me for the things I had done in the year.

* A cake made by a Mum.

* A packet of deliciously posh tea!

* A big and pretty mug.

And... just between us... what I would love to have been given but so far in my career never have been...

* A carefully chosen book to read over the lovely long summer.

I ope dis is ov elp! Ave fun bying a prezunt!

happystory Wed 16-Jul-08 12:15:37

Might I just say not flowers? Cos quite often teachers are going away soon after they break up....

Vouchers good, M&S, Boots for women, John Lewis if one nearby.

Toiletites ARE nice if carefully chosen, and wine FAB!

(gosh i sound greedy!)

mum2oandh Wed 16-Jul-08 12:16:02

It was my ds's last morning today, after lurking on a similar thread a while ago, and checking with a friend of mine who is a teacker, I went with wine, much to my dp's disaproval, it was met (by both of his teachers and his classroom assistant) with almost scary, orgasmic delight.
So unless you know them to be teetotal, I would give a big thumbs up for WINE, and lets face it, who wouldn't? grin

happystory Wed 16-Jul-08 12:17:05

Must add my nicest prez last year was a nice funky pen from Paperchase, I used it all year and thought of the pupil in question frequently...

mum2oandh Wed 16-Jul-08 12:17:17

teacker teacher blush

SqueakyPop Wed 16-Jul-08 12:18:18

Wine, flowers, chocolates.

I would not want something made at home by the little darling blush

MrsSylar Wed 16-Jul-08 12:19:45

Thankyou,teafortwo!

Posh tea and a pretty mug sounds do-able.

Kewcumber Wed 16-Jul-08 12:19:58

not even fudge Squeaky - home made fudge is delicious

SqueakyPop Wed 16-Jul-08 12:20:44

I've seen how kids cook - can I be sure they washed their hands? grin

crokky Wed 16-Jul-08 12:24:17

DB is a teacher. He is always very happy to receive a card with a message of thanks for his work. He does work very hard and is pleased when he is thanked for it. I think a Next voucher or something like that is nice.

jennifersofia Wed 16-Jul-08 12:27:56

Please - not wine or chocs! I have a TA who does not drink, and (not to sound ungrateful!) I don't like certain kinds of wine and milk chocolates.
I do like handmade cards, if the child is keen to make one. Other than that, vouchers for M&S, or HMV or a bookshop are lovely.
I sometimes ask the TA for ideas for the teacher and the teacher for ideas for the TA.

combustiblelemon Wed 16-Jul-08 12:37:09

My mother was a teacher and my siblings and I loved the presents she was given- mainly because she couldn't use any of them and we got them! She hates chocolates (grin yum)and is allergic to most bath stuff (grin mmm). My father drank the wine. She loved the china mugs, fancy pens with brightly coloured ink (the kind that paperchase have tonnes of) and good scented candles. Handmade cards or drawings were her favourite.

Bramshott Wed 16-Jul-08 12:41:50

Okay, having read this, I'm going for M & S vouchers inside a card made by DD1. She goes to school by taxi so it's got to be something she can carry herself and I think she'd struggle with 3 bottles of wine tbh grin

MingMingtheWonderPet Wed 16-Jul-08 14:23:41

A very lovely mum has organised a collection this year for DS's class (hooray, one less job to do!). We all handed over cash and an A4 sheet of drawing or writing or whatever that our child has done. Papers to be put in an album, cash to be spent on Bluewater vouchers. Perfect!

lilyloo Wed 16-Jul-08 14:33:05

I have just got ds teacher some handmade biscuits , a scented candle and a mug ! Got some biscuits for the ta too!

tortoiseSHELL Wed 16-Jul-08 14:35:15

We've done candles, homemade sweets (chocolate truffles), necklaces etc

combustiblelemon Wed 16-Jul-08 14:35:35

<<applauds Lilyloo's taste and judgement>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now