Talk

Advanced search

are you a PART TIME tecaher???come and talk to me about INSET DAYS please

(36 Posts)
MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 20:34:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovewashingnappies Mon 14-Jul-08 20:37:29

No beans here.

SOmetimes swap for days at end of term where kids aren;t in.....

cornsilk Mon 14-Jul-08 20:37:46

I don't go on my days off as I don't get paid. If I'm wanted in I'm paid for it. I don't think F/T teachers are actually paid for inset days though.

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 20:38:11

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 20:38:43

dramaqueen Mon 14-Jul-08 20:39:52

I work 0.5 contract. Inset days are calculated separately, so I go to 0.5 of them IYSWIM. When I was on a 0.4 contract I calculated it accordingly (went to 2 out of 5) and any more they pay me for. I pick the ones I think are most useful to me at the beginning of the year.

Sorry, am rushing to get kids into bed!

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 20:40:47

Lemontart Mon 14-Jul-08 20:45:07

Part timers at my old school would be expected to work a proportion of the inset days in ratio with their working days.
It was a PITA to work out as a department head with no less than 9 part timers and 2 cross department part timers. Also sometimes the maths didn’t work out and would need to rely on the goodwill of teachers to do an extra day if it would make the inset more productive. Would try to be flexible but sometimes inset is only productive if you have the whole team teaching a specific area there.
It should be spelt out in your contract though. I know we put it into all of ours. Any extra commitments would be negotiable and pro rata.
Also, all insets were planned before the end of the year so that who was expected to attend which days could be pre-agreed before start of the year and contracts signed.

AbbeyA Mon 14-Jul-08 20:45:14

Was paid on one occasion. Generally go out of the goodness of my heart and not get paid! However it is my choice-I only go if it is of great interest to me.Sometimes I only do part of the day.

FossilSister Mon 14-Jul-08 20:49:40

As far as I know INSET days are part of teacher's contract - they used to be holiday but were added on to kid's term time for teachers to go in and get trained. (Now everyone just thinks we're having an extra day off - moan.) Am I mistaken?

Anyhow, check with union, but in our school we go in if it's our day, go in and get paid if it isn't and we want to, or don't go in.

My sister says her head gets part-time staff to do their quota of INSET tho ie 0.5 would do half the INSET days each year.

roisin Mon 14-Jul-08 20:51:14

At our school (secondary) teachers don't come in if they don't usually work that day.

At my boys' primary school all teachers come in for all INSETs. I don't know whether p/t are paid for it or not: I doubt it. Probably just 'expected'.

MyDingaling Mon 14-Jul-08 20:53:00

I work 0.5 and I attend 0.5 of Inset days. I either choose whoch ones myself or the head sugeests which ones she would prefer me to attend eg Primary Framework trainig.
Hope that helps

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 20:53:49

ihatebikerides Mon 14-Jul-08 20:53:56

Have done a mixture of all the suggestions so far. Originally, I just went to all of them. Then half days. Now, I technically go 3 out of 5 (pro rata) but can choose which are most relevant. But in practice (and now kids are in school and I'm, more available) I do tend to go to more. Especially as one is usually at beginning of year and therefore vital, and another is for report writing (at home). That means the others are training ones, which are usually useful. I'd rather be in the school's debt, than me "owing" them IYSWIM, in case of having to take time off for DCs being ill.

MyDingaling Mon 14-Jul-08 20:54:34

Forgot to say, it was the NUT that told us that we only attend 0.5 Inset days

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 20:58:29

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 21:03:26

Message withdrawn

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 21:06:01

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 21:09:02

Message withdrawn

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 21:21:03

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 21:21:34

Message withdrawn

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 21:23:17

Heated Mon 14-Jul-08 21:23:22

I do not attend inset on days that I am not employed to be there. It hasn't happened yet but also if parents' eve fell on a non-working day then I would/could not attend that either. I also attend after school meetings pro rata.

From the NASUWT site:

In some LAs no requirement is made on the teacher to work outside of the hours
of the ‘pupil contact day’ (i.e. the hours that the school is in session and pupils are
being taught, excluding lunch time). In these cases there is no requirement to
attend staff or departmental meetings, parental meetings or non-pupil days. Such
teachers get paid on the basis of the number of sessions they are required to work.

In other LAs part-time teachers are required to attend the appropriate number of
non-pupil days where these fall on days they would normally be available for work.
For example, a 0.2 teacher would attend one non-pupil day (if this day fell on the
day the teacher was available for work). In some cases a part-time teacher is
required to attend a staff meeting which follows on from a session during which
they are available for work.

So that totally clarifies matters then!

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 21:25:16

Heated Mon 14-Jul-08 21:25:32

There should be no requirement to attend non-pupil days except where these
fall on days when the teacher would normally be at work.
• There should be no requirement for part-time teachers to attend the place of
work at times other than those specified as sessions within the contract.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now