Talk

Advanced search

More report confusion - and apologies to all teachers who must be heartily sick of this by now!

(6 Posts)
GeorgeAndTimmy Mon 14-Jul-08 16:22:24

Lots of these threads about now, but can I add to the confusion please?

DC got her report last week, and the general summary said that she was 'generally working well within the attainment level expected', which I thought translated that she was pretty average.

However she 'scored' 8s for all her early ed goals aside from two 9's, which (following my looking on the net, as you do!) seems to suggest she was actually doing pretty well.
Why are these reports so flipping vague! Do you think that general comment section should have a comma in it, if so where - it seems quite an ambiguous statement.

I know I should just chill, but schools tend to be so uncommunicative about things, that when I do get something from them, I would like to at least be able to understand it...

GeorgeAndTimmy Mon 14-Jul-08 16:38:50

. smile

laurz75 Mon 14-Jul-08 22:26:52

They are good scores at the 'top end'. The summary bit is very wooly as it is unclear whether she's working at the level they expect for her or the level expected for all children in the class.
If it really bothers you, try and see the teacher, but bear in mind s/he is probably up to his/her eyeballs with end of term stuff. Prob best to feel pleased she is doing well and follow it up in the new academic year with the Y1 teacher.

GeorgeAndTimmy Tue 15-Jul-08 15:27:35

Thanks for the reply Laurz smile. I won't go bothering the teacher I don't think, as it is just this one comment that sticks out as not being quite in keeping with the rest.

She seems to be doing well from what I can glean on the foundation stage info I have found on the net, although I have no idea what the average child is meant to get which would be a helpful thing surely?

laurz75 Tue 15-Jul-08 21:35:25

In my school the 'average' is 6's and 7's - 9 indicates she is working within Level 1 (v good for year R child). Your school don't seem to have given you much info so maybe you need to point this out (in a nice way of course smile ) so things can be clarified?

GeorgeAndTimmy Tue 15-Jul-08 23:12:21

Hi Laurz, the school aren't too good about letting you know things - I think they think it is dangerous if parents know too much hmm smile. I am only wondering about the scores because they gave them to us. Either they should give them and explain what they mean, or don't give them and just leave it with the comments! Tsk!

As you said my DD seems to be doing well, so I am happy about that. She does complain that she has to do more work than others in her class though lol!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now