Talk

Advanced search

Does one HAVE to go to school sports day?

(28 Posts)
nikos Mon 14-Jul-08 14:27:07

It falls on a day I'm working and I don't really want to take a days holiday TBH. Would it be terrible not to go?

CarGirl Mon 14-Jul-08 14:28:10

YES your dc will be very sad

nikos Mon 14-Jul-08 14:31:12

Has anyone not gone and their children have missed them?

MorocconOil Mon 14-Jul-08 14:33:11

I went today and was the only parent thereblush. I was made very welcome and DS was pleased that I'd gone.

MegBusset Mon 14-Jul-08 14:35:20

My parents never came as they both worked, I don't think it ever bothered me.

stillthinkinaboutit Mon 14-Jul-08 14:43:50

I still think my parents missed out by not coming to school events. i love the the kids faces when they see me n hubby supportin them. They have someone to impress. Makes the whole thing worth while for em. Cant you get a swap with someone or put the hours in later?

thebecster Mon 14-Jul-08 14:47:40

My parents never went. They never went to parents evening either - they always said that they only sent me to school because it would be illegal not to shock

It didn't scar me at all. But my parents are lovely but barking mad, and you might not be aiming for that!! Are your DC very sporty and likely to win everything, or very unsporty and likely to need your support & encouragement? In either of those cases, better to go. Can you ask them whether they mind? They might say they don't mind but would like a day with you another day...

bigTillyMint Mon 14-Jul-08 15:09:29

i think it depends where you live - if most of the mums are SAHM's then your DC may be upset. If lots of mums / dad's work, then it's less of an issue.

At my DC's school about 1/3 of the mums / dad's go. My DS would like me to go (thinks he could leave after picnic!), but DD not bothered either way!

mynameis Mon 14-Jul-08 15:25:29

Is there no other family member who could go in your place? I couln't make DD's this year but sent grandad in my place. She was more than happy with that

Tortington Mon 14-Jul-08 15:27:24

don't go - they get over it

you have to work

its not like you told them the toothfairy killed santa or anything - you just missed n extremely tedious egg n spoon

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 15:30:31

Message withdrawn

edam Mon 14-Jul-08 15:33:17

My parents never went to sports day as far as I remember and it didn't scar me at all. Except at middle school when all the kids whose parents were there were allowed to go home early. That did piss me off.

nikos Mon 14-Jul-08 15:38:38

Now I'm all of a quandry. One child is in reception and the other Y2. A day off now means less time with them in holidays. And one of the sports days in morning and other afternoon so a very tedious day.

Tortington Mon 14-Jul-08 15:48:33

if i were you - take the day off

stay at home

eat cake

nikos Mon 14-Jul-08 16:07:42

grin

ScummyMummy Mon 14-Jul-08 16:12:09

no. Get them to replay their brilliant efforts afterwards and gasp with admiration.

Takver Mon 14-Jul-08 16:23:18

Not unless they are begging you to. And even then before making the decision to go I would explain that it will mean less time with them in the hols - even a reception child is old enough to understand that.

aly16 Mon 14-Jul-08 16:25:29

If you don't want to go you should'nt be made to feel bad. It is your decision but I did miss my mum and dad being there because they were often working. I would go xx

cornsilk Mon 14-Jul-08 16:25:43

If you can't take the day off then don't go. If it'll mean one less day spent with the kids in the holidays then definitely don't go. Get someone else's mum to cheer for your child.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 14-Jul-08 16:31:30

Message withdrawn

MsPontipine Mon 14-Jul-08 20:48:24

I've attended all DS's Nativity (x2) Sports day and Nursery productions so far.

You can see all the little ones craning their necks franticallly searching the audience for you to be there. Even the sight of them all proudly carrying their chairs across to the field brought tears to my eyes. The thought of not being there would break my heart. What's the point of them doing it if you're not there to cheer them on?? My hands hurt for days after from clapping.

It would have to be an IMMENSELY VITAL reason to keep me away. (Sudden broken leg or something)

MsPontipine Mon 14-Jul-08 20:56:00

Thoght this may be of interest to you too.

MsPontipine Mon 14-Jul-08 20:56:55

Thought grin

ByTheSea Mon 14-Jul-08 21:05:41

I wouldn't miss one for the world and when have taken the day off in the past. And DH usually takes the day off work too, at least once they've been in the KS2 sports day. That said, where my DC go to school, just about all the parents turn up. If it's not like that at the school yours go to, and lots of parents don't go, I wouldn't worry about it so much.

overthehill Mon 14-Jul-08 21:14:40

I think it partly depends on their attitude to sports: both mine hate them & were both praying for rainblush, with ds telling me not to go! Are there not other family members/friends (dh, grandparents, aunts/uncles, neighbours, godparents/family friends) who could either go instead or at least share the days with you if you feel someone needs to go? At our primary school the numbers of parents tends to decrease as they get older, and I've not been to one for at least the last couple of years (ds is 9), and TBH, not even really registered when it was on! In fact, I think last year's was cancelled several times because of the atrocious weather and ended up being held at a really inconvenient time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now