Talk

Advanced search

Leavers Assembly coming up...

(38 Posts)
MaryAnnSingleton Mon 14-Jul-08 14:12:48

...how can I maintain my composure ? ds is singing me the song they will do which makes my eyes prickle already...' Goodbye old school...' or shall I just go with the flow ?

StellaDallas Mon 14-Jul-08 14:16:42

I am planning on dark glasses and a large hankie. And consoling myself that all the other mums, and not a few of the dads, will be in the same state.

MorocconOil Mon 14-Jul-08 14:17:08

I'll be taking lots of tissues, and my DC aren't even leaving. It makes me feel really emotional seeing them moving on, and growing up.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 14-Jul-08 14:17:28

am sure everyone will be similarly weepy...can I wear dark glasses in the school hall though ?

juuule Mon 14-Jul-08 14:18:33

Leaver's assembly for me,too. My dd is upset to be leaving and I feel rather strange as I'll have no-one at the school anymore after taking my children there for 18years.
Think I might need a few tissues myself.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 14-Jul-08 14:20:11

ds is my only one - will be very odd.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Mon 14-Jul-08 14:28:28

Our leavers assembly involves a slide show of the children on trips, in Christmas plays, at sports day etc from their first days in Reception right through to Year 6.

It's guaranteed to make even the hardest parents snivel. grin

Good luck to you all - I have another 5 years of primary to enjoy before we get there!

MorocconOil Mon 14-Jul-08 14:30:57

Duchess- That would make me weep.

unknownrebelbang Mon 14-Jul-08 22:33:57

DS2 leaving on Friday (DS3 next year).

They've done the school play tonight and ooh, Friday's going to be very emotional.

bossybritches Mon 14-Jul-08 22:38:18

* passes tissues *

Just posted on another thread about this sad

We're having leavers assembly next week & it's my last one of 9 years as I've had 2 daughters at this school & it's going to be so WEIRD I feel really bereft. Stupid moo.

Definately dark glasses methinks.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 22-Jul-08 13:10:03

well it's happened and no tears !! think I got it out of my system by fretting about it in advance. Might feel sad tom orrow which is final day.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 22-Jul-08 14:23:06

doh ! just watched the little movies of the songs at assembly on my camera and they made me feel sad...it's not going to be so cosy and friendly like this at secondary, is it ?

OrmIrian Tue 22-Jul-08 14:30:27

I missed it which is sad and a relief as I'd have wept like a fountain. DH went and I suspect he didn't. But their class teacher was in tears this morning at the Leavers breakfast because she will miss them all! Apparently all the teachers have been saying they don't want them to leave grin

OrmIrian Tue 22-Jul-08 14:31:43

It's all a bit lip-trembly though. I can't beleive that it's been 7 yrs since he started there!

FAQ Tue 22-Jul-08 14:34:39

only one I know apart from One more Step that DS1 will be singing is "oh you cannae throw your granny off the bus" shock grin

DS1's is leaving infant school to go up to Junior.......so only had 3yrs there (as do all the chidlren) - however they're got another 6yrs left of me yet - as DS2 goes in September, then when he leaves, DS3 starts grin

bellavita Tue 22-Jul-08 14:53:26

I was doing ok this morning until a couple of the children got upset and then this set me off.

One of the teachers is also leaving - our class is the first year she taught (then Yr4) so she was emotional which made me cry even more.

FAQ Tue 22-Jul-08 15:08:51

oh don't bella - DS1's leavers concert is tomorrow - and his class teacher is leaving to become a deputy head in a bigger school.

I was thrilled when DS1 was in his class this year, and was hoping that the other DS's would also have him in yr2 as well

herbietea Tue 22-Jul-08 15:12:14

Message withdrawn

bellavita Tue 22-Jul-08 16:41:02

Well that is that then for 6 weeks.

All the children in Yr6 had their polo shirts signed by everyone.

I have got a mountain of stuff just dumped in the corner of the kitchen - all their classwork etc.

DS2 will be in Yr4 when he goes back in Sept, so I don't have to worry about leavers assembly etc for another 3 years - thank god!

bellavita Tue 22-Jul-08 16:47:29

Just take your sunglasses FAQ and a wad of tissues. There will be other mum's with tears.

unknownrebelbang Tue 22-Jul-08 16:48:00

Kitchen towel is far more absorbent...

bellavita Tue 22-Jul-08 16:49:39

it's left me with a headache though!

Oh herbietea - ours sang the same song - that set me off aswell.

unknownrebelbang Tue 22-Jul-08 16:54:32

I found wine straight after the service helped...

bellavita Tue 22-Jul-08 16:58:54

hmmmm - that would have been nice but I had to go shopping straight after (ours was this morning) so I had to make do with a starbucks skinny latte.

I just might partake in a glass tonight though!

unknownrebelbang Tue 22-Jul-08 17:01:07

maybe not such a good idea then.

Ours was Friday afternoon, followed by a samll gathering for staff/governors, so it would have been rude not to partake wink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now