Talk

Advanced search

Another school report question

(7 Posts)
whatdayisit Sat 12-Jul-08 20:37:19

DS2 just finishing reception and has a reasonable report, but there are a lot of references to needs to consider the consequences of his actions, forgets the school rules, needs to be reminded to stay on task etc.

He is one of only 6 boys in the class and of these , he is the youngest.

On seeing these remarks, my Dad has given me a lecture on how I need to crack down on his behaviour, but I think I'm fairly strict already and a lot of this is normal behaviour for a boy just turned 5.

The only example of poor behaviour the school has brought to my attention was when he drew stripes on the legs of two class mates ( this as in the term they were thinking about patterns and was perfectly reasonable in his eyes) so yes he does need to learn to consider the consequences, but it was hardly nasty naughtiness was it? Surely if he was that bad I would have heard more from the school?

At home he's far from perfect and it can be a challenge to get him to do as he's told, but we don't have violence or willful destruction etc. I use counting to 3, then the naughty step ( although we call it thinking time) and I rarely get to 3.

avenanap Sat 12-Jul-08 20:40:36

I can clearly say that I have never met a 5 year old who is able to understand the consequences of their actions, who remember the school rules or don't need reminding of what they are supposto be doing. This behaviour sounds completly normal to me. They learn all this when they are older. It sounds like you are already doing all you can and you are doing a fantastic job. You should be proud. smile

Sexonlegs Sat 12-Jul-08 20:42:47

Hi there. My dd1 is in the same boat and we also had remarks about consequences of actions.

I would tend to agree that if things were bad, you would have heard about it.

I am not taking it too seriously tbh; my dd aso only turned 5 at the end of May and is one of the youngest in the class.

mrz Sat 12-Jul-08 21:01:10

It's one of those expectations from the FSP that some adults will struggle with never mind 4-5 year olds
Behaviour and self control
Understand what is right, what is wrong and why

Consider the consequences of their words and actions for themselves and others

Sense of Community
Understand that people have different needs, views, cultures and beliefs that need to be treated with respect

Understand that the can expect others to treat their needs, views, cultures and beliefs with respect

hmm

choccypig Sat 12-Jul-08 21:13:58

My 7 yo DS had remarks like this in his report. (Should make better choices in behaviour, needs to remember there are other people in the class etc.) I was aware that he had been getting a bit big for his boots lately, but thought I should have heard before if he was that bad.
When it came to parents eve, the teacher was really very complimentary about him and said not to worry, the behaviour is just normal boy exuberance, and nothing we can't handle. He'll soon settle down at the next school etc. (btw he is "top of the class" acedemically, I suspect teachers would be more concerned if behaviour was holding him back..tbh I was more worried about him disrupting the class for others)
I think they have to highlight it if our DS is more "naughty" than others, (I confess mine is) but it is not necessarily a big problem, just something that will develop gradually, with good teaching and parenting.

whatdayisit Sat 12-Jul-08 21:52:20

I knew my Dad couldn't always be right. Thank you everyone.

choccypig Sat 12-Jul-08 21:53:20

Just noticed I am not "top of the class" academically ..I was trying to link this to the one about reading other children's reports.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now