Talk

Advanced search

uniform or non - uniform ?????

(23 Posts)
cazboldy Sat 12-Jul-08 13:30:52

We are moving, and went to look at a new school yesterday. It seeemed very nice, and welcoming, children happy etc

but

they don't have a uniform

Currently my dc do, and I don't know what to think really.....

Does it make the transfer to secondary harder?

Is it more expensive?

any comments greatly appreciated!

cornsilk Sat 12-Jul-08 13:32:29

uniform is so much easier.

cornsilk Sat 12-Jul-08 13:33:35

oh just read your op properly blush
My ds's would love to go to a school without uniform - it's me that prefers it!

AbbeyA Sat 12-Jul-08 13:49:52

I prefer a uniform but it isn't important. I would leave it out of the choosing criteria, go by what you thought of the school and whether your DC would fit in.

hellish Sat 12-Jul-08 14:04:53

Agree AbbeyA. After a week or so, they'll be used to it and the same will happen when they go to secondary.

I really wouldn't base my decision on uniform. My dc have been to one school with and one without - doesn't make any difference.

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 12-Jul-08 14:28:47

look much better,a group of school children in uniform than not - only exception being kids from the Lycee Francaise os South Kensington who look chic

Amphibimum Sat 12-Jul-08 14:33:22

i never had school uniforms and it was never a problem. we thought ourselves far freer and superior to other schools who did !

the ds's go to a school with uniform and it looks cute an all... and smart too i guess, but i dont really buy the 'looking the same as everyone else makes you work harder' line.

<shrugs> i guess i dont really care either way.

xserialshopper Sat 12-Jul-08 14:48:10

I find that buying ds uniform is easier on the pocket over the year and saves us having the everyday arguement of 'I don't want to wear that, I want to wear this.'

gegs73 Sat 12-Jul-08 18:59:03

Wouldn't worry me. All schools round here have it, but it wouldn't bother me if they didn't. I keep thinking about 30, 4 year olds trying to find their own clothes identical to everyone elses after PE!

cory Sat 12-Jul-08 19:24:05

Wouldn't worry me one way or another. I went to school in Sweden, so never had them; dc's schools have them; it's not going to be the factor that makes or breaks a school.

cazboldy Sat 12-Jul-08 19:24:06

that's true gegs73 - I guess they should lose less stuff....

cazboldy Sun 13-Jul-08 09:43:21

anyone else????

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Sun 13-Jul-08 10:02:54

i hate non-uniform day in our house, just decisions, decisions, decisions!

on the other hand if the school itself is your first choice, i spose the dc's will get used to it. i would be worried it would be more costly

NigellaTheOriginal Sun 13-Jul-08 10:09:54

I hate uniforms. I can't bare to see them all lined up like little clones. Wish our schools had no uniforms.
I also don't get the - uniforms make everyone equal line

ChippyMinton Sun 13-Jul-08 10:17:46

"It seeemed very nice, and welcoming, children happy etc"

There is your answer. The best way of choosing a school IMO.

(My DC have a shirts & ties uniform which was a small factor in choosing it. I find poloshirt/sweatshirt type uniforms a bit offputting, but would be happy with non-uniform)

gagarin Sun 13-Jul-08 10:27:52

Shirts and ties preferable?!

My lot would have had tears over ties and buttons when they were 4.

No uniform or sweatshirts are the only option for infant age.

ChippyMinton Sun 13-Jul-08 10:36:57

I did think it might be a struggle but they took to it straightaway. Need help with top button & tying tie in Reception but then fine.

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Sun 13-Jul-08 10:57:12

ds had an elasticated tie! however the novelty soon wore off and he went back to poloshirts

overthehill Mon 14-Jul-08 23:26:50

My dcs' school has no uniform & at first I thought it wasn't a good idea due to all the possible arguments about "what am I going to wear today?" etc. However, it just hasn't happened with either dd or ds, and although especially the Reception children can look a bit like refugees at times(!), I've really been won over & now wonder why all other schools in the city have uniforms!

Blu Mon 14-Jul-08 23:40:34

I am very pleased that DS's school is non-uniform.

I don't have to worry about whether he has a clean / barely wearable clean sweatshirt, his 'normal' clothes actually get worn before he grows out of them, I haven't hard of any of his feinds (even the girls) fussing about what they wear - when every day is non-uniform they don't get in such a state about it.

And personally, I don't find the 'sweatshirt and grey trousers' look at all atractive - I liek DS in clothes that I / we have chosen.

I don't imagine he will be traumatised by a uniform at secondary (but I might).

seeker Tue 15-Jul-08 05:32:22

Can't see why polo shirts are off putting but ties not....HATE ties on children, especially on girls - what's that all about?

I think uniform is preferable in a very socially and economically mixed area like the on we live in, but it HAS to be cheap and easy to look after.And it has to be colours you can buy from supermarkets. And non iron.

LindzDelirium Tue 15-Jul-08 08:53:48

I never wore uniform up to age 14, but dd has uniform at her primary, it's polo shirts or shirt/tie. Most wear polo shirts but they look scruffy after a few washes and dd prefers shirt/tie anyway. I do think I prefer it but I hear what some posters are saying about them growing out of their "normal" clothes. I do think a school decision should not be based solely on uniform though.

cazboldy Tue 15-Jul-08 10:34:56

Thanks Blu and overthehill - that kind of backs up what the school said about it. smile

I wasn't basing my decision about the school on it, as some of you said, but it was a factor, as it made me feel a little unsure.

I think I could get used to the idea, and the dc's are positively excited about it

it is good to get a few opinions on it though, so thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now