Since our DS1 was born we have had him on the waiting list for a reputable private school. Over the last few months and weeks I have had a number of niggling doubts as to if we sre doing the right thing.Would we be better sending him to state school?Would he become a more grounded person at state school?One of my main concerns has been that if he goes to private school he will only mix with rich kids and I am afraid of him becoming a snob. Obviously there is a huge financial difference as well and I am grateful that we are in the position to have this choice. The extra cash would help but at the same time I want to put our child 1st. Our other main concern if we go the state route, we would want to move DS to private at 9.How would this effect him?Would it be hard to integrate etc and effect his work? As I live in Ireland the education system is slightly different to the UK but I would love to hear from anyone who has been in a similar position or has experience of moving a child from 1 school to another and the effects that had. I was brought uo in state schools,DH was private all the way through!
Have you looked at your local state schools? And is there any particular reason you would want to move him at 9?
I've nothing against private schools, and I don't think that it would turn him into a snob or that he'd only be mixing with rich kids - most private schools have a mix of families, many of them in a situation where they struggle to pay fees but think it's the best thing for their child.
But equally, I don't think there's anything wrong with most state schools, and you have to consider whether the money you spend on the school could be better used in other ways - eg after school activities, trips, tutors - or even just the rest of the things we all spend money on!
If the private school is quite academic, it may be harder for him to join it later. But I know some schools have another intake at that age, so there may be other children in the same situation.
Thanks amuminscotland. We have informed the private school that we are going to go with state iutil he is 9.The private school have confirmed in writing that they will guarantee his 3rd class place so we now have the best of both worlds. We have lost the deposit on joining in Sept but I am so happy with our decision now. We are very lucky to be in the position that we could choose. I now look forward to spending the money saved on family holidays, tutors if needed (don't think they will be as state teachers in this school are very good),extra curricular activities etc.