Talk

Advanced search

DD is nearing the end of Reception and reading has not clicked for her. Is there something I can do to help her during the summer?

(12 Posts)
TodayToday Fri 11-Jul-08 08:08:01

She's a winter birthday. She started to sight read at nursery, the year before she started school. She has a good memory and seems to learn visually, so she was very competent at that.

Reception reading seems to have left her confused and lacking in confidence. Whilst she might be able to read the word 'good', for example, if she sees the word Goodnight she doesn't see the good part and makes a wild and tenuous guess at what the word is. She's not even that confident with all her letter sounds.

A few months ago something seemed to click and she was able to sound out CVC words - but then she gets a reading book with so many words in that are not sight words she knows and don't contain many CVC words and she looses all her confidence and makes the wild guesses again. Sometimes she seems to be going backwards.

She's perfectly capable in every other way but with reading, she seems to be making little progress and when she does make progress, it is easily eradicated by new word overload in the books that are sent home.

I wonder if she requires a different approach and if this is something that I could help her with (in a non-pushy way!) over the summer holidays.

I'd appreciate hearing the experience of others.

Thank you

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 11-Jul-08 08:18:43

Don't pressure her, whatever you do (not saying you are, just a warning to back off!)

I would let her go at her own pace. Make sure she has things to read that she will enjoy - the princessiest princess magazine or the pinkest pink book - and encourage her to make up her own stories around the pictures. You can then help her match some of the words up with her story.

Is her teacher concerned in any way? I would have a quiet word with her before she's finished school and ask her to give you her view on your daughter's progress as well as some advice as to how to proceed.

TodayToday Fri 11-Jul-08 08:28:24

No, I don't pressure her at all. It's hard to see her confused and not 'getting it' though... I've come to dread the school reading books (not that I let DD know any of that - I am 100% positive in her presence)

MamaG Fri 11-Jul-08 08:30:54

Today please don't worry. My DD didn't really click with reading, it was only by the end of Year 1 that she really got it - she's now in Year 4 and has a reading age of 15 and is the best in her class (any excuse for a <preen>!) - I would advise that you ask her teacher for tips on how to help her over the holidays as they should be able to give you some good hints.

dramaqueen Fri 11-Jul-08 08:34:27

I think you shoud concentrate on her letter sounds over the summer. Don'tpush the reading, just play games with her. Writing the sounds in the sand is a good way of learning them, especially if she is a visual learner.

frogs Fri 11-Jul-08 08:37:55

Get some properly phonic books for her to read, so that all the words can be sounded out. Jelly and Bean books are great for this, completely logical.

claricebeansmum Fri 11-Jul-08 08:38:11

The same as other posters - don't pressurise. When you be happening to go past the newsagent offer to buy her comic or mag, get her to read your shopping list to you when you are shopping (because mummy can't possibly manage that AND the shopping grin. Don't forget to pop into the library and let her browse - if she goes for books with few words then so be it.

It is most important to just keep her reading over the summer but it does not have to be "formal".

It will come - some take longer than others.

TodayToday Fri 11-Jul-08 10:43:00

She's very book orientated so I don't worry that she is being turned-off books. She'll happily make up her own stories and look at the pictures. She will point out words when she knows them or can read them. Her loss of confidence hasn't gone so far as to put her off books or reading the odd thing spontaneously.

I like the suggestions of reinforcing letter sounds in a fun way and also getting her some books which are actually easy enough for her to read. I want to simplify things for her and build her confidence.

TodayToday Fri 11-Jul-08 10:44:15

Oh yes, thanks again for anyone who replied. I appreciate it.

BasementBear Fri 11-Jul-08 11:00:27

She is only young still, there is plenty of time for getting serious with school work so I personally would just let her have a nice relaxing holiday. Buy her comics if she likes them, carry on reading your favourite stories together and try not to worry. Lots of libraries have book schemes during the holidays where you get stickers for reading a certain number of books and writing your "review" of them - maybe try that?

Nemoandthefishes Sat 12-Jul-08 19:40:31

play some games with her around words and spelling without making big thing from it. I bought pack of post it notes and play game with ds where I write down a word and reads it then sticks it onto the relevant object.

maidamess Sat 12-Jul-08 19:42:21

I don't know many reception children that could read 'Good night'!

Does her school do phonics? That has really helped the children at my school with their reading and writing. We do it for 15 mins a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now