Talk

Advanced search

photo consent form - does anyone else say 'no'?

(91 Posts)
stufftodo Mon 07-Jul-08 13:42:15

Message withdrawn

constancereader Mon 07-Jul-08 13:45:05

It is lovely for children to see themselves, their work and their school in the paper!

RubyRioja Mon 07-Jul-08 13:46:57

I agree to printed versions but not for use online, so you are not the only one.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 07-Jul-08 13:47:01

Ask her what it will mean. It might mean for example that parents are not allowed to video the nativity play or something.

GrapefruitMoon Mon 07-Jul-08 13:47:57

Our local paper publishes photos of all the new Reception classes in the autumn. Is that the sort of thing you mean? The children are never identified by name. They always ask for each separate occasion a photo is taken during the year...

canofworms Mon 07-Jul-08 13:49:09

In our school, if 1 parent objects then no class photos of any kind are put in the paper etc.

somebody objected in dd1's class so no photos of her in the paper at all whereas we have a lovely class photo of dd2 with all the new starters in September cut out of the paper.

geekgirl Mon 07-Jul-08 13:49:27

well yes they are free advertising, but what's wrong with that? Schools need publicity in the community and there is usually some element of competition between local primary schools.

I guess it makes it difficult for them in quite a few ways - having to ensure your dd isn't in any pictures that appear, e.g. group photos of new starters etc., and the opt-out is usually used in cases where a child has been adopted recently or is caught up in some kind of nasty domestic violence case.

Hecate Mon 07-Jul-08 13:49:28

I said no. At our school there are several options. I said yes to photo in school brochure or on anything to be displayed within the school, I said yes to group photo on school webiste or in external media with no name but I said no to photo in media with name.

BronzeNemesis Mon 07-Jul-08 13:49:38

I didnt tick the box either and got hassled by the secretary outside school in front of all the other parents. Ended up signing as I felt so pressured.
I also didn't give permission for him to use the internet (at first) but for a different reason. I wanted to know what they would do when he couldn't join in a class. Seems he would have just been left out.... great education. I did sign which I was going to do but I was testing the situation first.

RustyBear Mon 07-Jul-08 13:49:57

We had two 'nos' out of 229 children at the school I work at - then one of them got really upset when the local paper came to take photos of an event and she had to be left out.

stufftodo Mon 07-Jul-08 13:51:19

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Mon 07-Jul-08 13:51:50

the only people who usually object are those who have some reason to be in hiding, potentially away from an abusive spouse.

I don't think any other reason is justified really - the world is not full of peadophiles awaiting a school photograph and it is rather odd to not allow your child to be photographed for displays and prospectuses and news coverages .. because you are saying no to yours it will make it more difficult to accomodate

That said, the teacher should not be discussing it with you .. if you've said no, you've said no

MissusH Mon 07-Jul-08 13:53:37

Same here - there is a picture of the new starters in the paper each year.

I declined permission for online use but dd was in the paper last year as school was celebrating it's centenary and she was so chuffed!

The pta also did a centenary calender featuring all the children in the school and a request/permission slip was sent out to parents. Seems that slips are sent out as and when required...

Twiglett Mon 07-Jul-08 13:53:55

but you should have said yes grin

RustyBear Mon 07-Jul-08 13:54:54

Saying we had 2 nos wasn't quite accurate - we also have a few whose parents have never bothered to return the form - we tend to ring those parents to check as & when it comes up.

Hecate Mon 07-Jul-08 13:56:16

I'm not in hiding, I'm not particularly worried about paedophiles either. i just don't want my kids named in the paper.

wannaBe Mon 07-Jul-08 13:59:05

it's very annoying when parents say no for no particular reason.

the local paper here also does a picture of all the new starters in all the reception classes - if you said no your dd might be the only child not in the picture - how do you think she would feel about that?

it also means that parents are not allowed to take pictures or video of the nativity play - so one parent's paranoya spoils it for everyone else.

It is quite a different matter obviously if the issue is a child protection one, but anything else is unreasonable imo.

stufftodo Mon 07-Jul-08 14:08:29

Message withdrawn

nooka Mon 07-Jul-08 14:09:40

Well clearly a blanket consent form isn't the way to go ahead is it then? I would not want my children's pictures in the local paper without forewarning and explicit consent, but then our local paper is a freebie, and we don't have this reception photograph tradition - if we did I might feel differently about it. I am perfectly happy for the children to be in photos displayed in school, and for other parents to take photos/videos at assemblies etc. I would expect explicit consent for a one off, and that's what our school does, as we have slips sent out as and when (for example some Japanese visitors came to the school and there might have been some local press interest. I didn't have a problem if dd had been in the picture. I wouldn't sign a blanket yes consent though.

LazyLinePainterJane Mon 07-Jul-08 14:09:46

There were several options for DS, I said yes to photos for the use of the nursery group, for the promotion of the nursery group and in the local press. However, I said no to the use of the photos by the council and a general disclaimer to say that they could use it whenever they liked.

stufftodo Mon 07-Jul-08 14:13:21

Message withdrawn

OverMyDeadBody Mon 07-Jul-08 14:16:30

Some of you are very strange!grin

Unless it's to protect a child from being identified by an abusive ex or something similar thenreally, what is the harm?

OverMyDeadBody Mon 07-Jul-08 14:18:28

and what's wrong with a bit of free publicity for the school? How odd.

Gobbledigook Mon 07-Jul-08 14:20:10

I don't see what the problem is with photos of children online or in the paper - they are in school uniform - what's anyone going to do with them?!

Our local paper has class photos of all the new reception classes in the area and it's lovely to keep.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 07-Jul-08 14:23:08

I can't see any problem in allowing photos to be used - why on earth would you object ? However I have taken photos recently of a school building project which the children are involved in and feel a bit uncomfortable about sending photos on to my friends/family where other people's kids are in the picture - is that a silly thing or would anyone object to that ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now