Age cut off in Ireland

(3 Posts)
desertmama1 Sun 14-Feb-21 11:05:01

Hi, there's a possibility that we may be moving to Ireland. I have 2 toddlers but they will be school age by the time we move there. What is the age cut off for starting school. My eldest son is born start of July 2017.
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
PatriciaHolm Sun 14-Feb-21 16:20:12

www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/the_irish_education_system/overview_of_the_irish_education_system.html

will help I think. Children can enrol from the September after their 4th birthday so for your DS it would be this September, but they don't have to be in school until they are 6.

LizzieAnt Mon 15-Feb-21 11:01:09

Yes, aged 4 to 6 is allowed.The vast majority of children with a July birthday will start aged 5 though, ie the Sept after their 5th birthday. This would be Sept 2022 for your DC. The age of starting usually ranges from 4.5 to 5.5 years, depending on when the birthdays fall. (And any teachers I know advise that children with a Feb or March birthday, for example, start at 5.5 instead of 4.5 years.)
Many/most children now attend up to two years of free preschool before this (3 hours daily). This is the ECCE scheme mentioned in the link by PP.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in