WWYD - scatterbrained 8 year old and homework

(2 Posts)
Christmas1935 Wed 18-Nov-20 22:02:16

I’m a bit of a control freak so not sure if I’m doing the right thing or not.

DD is 8 years old and in year 4 at school.

She’s bright and loves to read and doing well at school. She’s regularly away with the fairies and is quite forgetful.

She has weekly spellings, reading, online maths and a topic homework each week.

Since half term she also gets a piece of handwritten homework on a Monday, due on the Wednesday.

I’m trying to step back a little to let her find her feet and get into the habit of remembering she has homework.

So on Monday I asked if she had homework. She said she did but wanted to do it on Tuesday. I said fine.

Tuesday night it turns out she’s forgotten to bring her folder home on both Monday and Tuesday nights so can’t do the homework. I tell her to talk to her teacher.

Gets in the car tonight and, when asked, says her teacher said she can do it this evening. So she’s says she’ll do it when she gets home (15 minutes in the car).

She’s forgotten to do it (I forgot about it too).

She’s the eldest so her siblings only get homework at the weekend plus spellings.

Do I remind her in the morning - and see if she does it then, or say nothing?

It’s written in her homework diary - prompted by me, homework diary is a new thing.

I can’t decide whether I’m being too harsh, or if that’s my control freak talking - to let her go to school and face the consequences.

WWYD?

OP’s posts: |
MsAwesomeDragon Wed 18-Nov-20 22:07:23

I think I would help her get into a routine with it op. She's only 8, and there are lots of kids who still need help remembering their homework in secondary school!!

So if you know she's given it on a Monday she needs to do it straight away on a Monday, every week, no options (unless it's something unusual and important happening). That gives her a chance to forget it, then you remind again on the Tuesday.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in