11+ - whole year unable to take it, two days before

(13 Posts)
WishIWasSomewhereElse Tue 03-Nov-20 19:04:27

Pretty annoyed.

My DD's school had the 11+ practice today. The real thing on Thursday.

Tonight we had an email saying the whole year has to self-isolate due to a positive CV-19 case - LAST WEEK!!!

The head is pretty pissed off that the parents had to be chased before confiding , which meant that we all saw people (some ECV), last week, who may potentially now be at high risk.

The school have no idea what will happen about the 11+. We are in a wholly selective county, and the entire Y6 of the county take the test on the same day, I don't know what arrangements will be made, or when (we've already had the exam delayed from September, so had to choose secondary places using a choice for a grammar result, as the results are traditionally known before secondary applications).

The results for this 11+ are due at the end of November, this then enables parents to add another choice until 10th December, based on results. If the exam is delayed too long, our school parents won't get this chance, I also wonder if they'll have to come up with another paper in case of cheating.

Just ranting really, and hoping someone who knows about this could reassure us.

OP’s posts: |
lovemincepies Tue 03-Nov-20 19:19:44

What area are you in ?

Please don't worry you will be able to sit it.

It is in the education guidance. I will try find that for you.

Your child will be able to sit the exam but at the correct time.

WishIWasSomewhereElse Tue 03-Nov-20 19:24:32

@lovemincepies Buckinghamshire. It's Thursday for the whole county.

OP’s posts: |
lovemincepies Tue 03-Nov-20 19:25:49

You can sit it at a later date. They use the same test for a long time afterwards. How there is any security for this puzzles me but there you go.

Also there was guidance saying that they needed to work around covid.

The test could be taken online or even at home... but I can't find that advice now.

Did someone get covid or symptoms and not come clean with the school?

lovemincepies Tue 03-Nov-20 19:27:36

Sorry I see it is not bexley.

Hang on and I will try find that big of advice.

What a pain but don't worry you can not be put at a disadvantage (apart from having a last minute change).

PatriciaHolm Tue 03-Nov-20 19:31:00

From thebucksgrammarschools.org -

"What happens if my child is ill or self-isolating on test day?
As is the case every year, if a child is ill when they are due to take the test they will be given the opportunity to take the test later when they are well again. This will also apply if a child needs to self-isolate or shield."

lovemincepies Tue 03-Nov-20 19:35:44

You can check the DOE guidance - I have taken the paragraph below from it. I hope it gives you hope!

20. It would be a breach of paragraph 2.9(e) of the Code (which says that admission must not be refused solely because a child has missed entrance tests for selective places) to refuse to admit a child to a selective school place simply because it is not possible for the child to attend the test centre on any set date or dates. For some children it may, therefore, be necessary to make arrangements for them to be assessed in their homes or at another safe venue either at the same time, or later.

Advertisement

lovemincepies Tue 03-Nov-20 19:37:55

Personally I think they should have made the test an online one that could be sat in schools. Having all the OOC traipse around different counties and sit with other children for 4 or 5 hours just seems like a recipe for a super spreader event!

WishIWasSomewhereElse Tue 03-Nov-20 19:46:34

I don't know how it works with out of county children.

I guess the guidance allows for the whole year to sit the test together at a later date then? That's a bit more reassuring, but it's disappointing as they were so anxious, but also ready for it, especially after the practice, that to have to wait for an unknown date is a bit frustrating.

Yep, a child tested positive last week. The school tried to contact the parents to find out why they were absent, but couldn't get hold of them till today. We would have been told last week otherwise (and I wouldn't have taken DD to see my desperately, terminally ill, father at the weekend).

Four children are off in the class awaiting results from another contact (and they also didn't tell the school)!

Seriously considering withdrawing her after the test. It's not the school's fault, it's the shitty parents (and to be honest there are a few at that school, and I'm not the only vocal parent about this right now).

OP’s posts: |
WishIWasSomewhereElse Tue 03-Nov-20 19:47:23

@PatriciaHolm @lovemincepies Thank you both x

OP’s posts: |
lovemincepies Tue 03-Nov-20 20:42:19

wishiweresomewhereelse

Shocking behaviour, if people are wilfully holding back Information. I am so sorry about your Father. I hope you let the head know about your father.

Maybe you could get a couple of weeks flexi- time after your child has sat the test.

I really hope the head sends a strongly worded letter around to all parents. Some people do not realise nor care that their actions can drastically affect the health of others.

Having had my child just sat a grammar test I I can understand the anxiety aspect, my child was so anxious about the whole thing so it was good to get it over and done with.
I hope you can get another date soon.

WishIWasSomewhereElse Tue 03-Nov-20 21:08:28

@lovemincepies thank you so much x

OP’s posts: |
lovemincepies Thu 05-Nov-20 16:45:57

Hope you got a new proposed date and I hope the school tried to ensure parents follow covid guidance in future.

Take care x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in