Stamford Primary schools Help

(6 Posts)
Sunshinecat Thu 29-Oct-20 22:42:14

Hi there,

We are moving to Stamford in January and looking at primary schools at the moment. We have looked at Malcolm Sargent and Bluecoat but have no idea about either. My dds would require some additional help for mild dyslexia so want to make sure we choose one that would give them that support.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
hundredsnthousands Wed 25-Nov-20 17:48:22

Hi, I live in Stamford, is there anything in particular you were wondering about the schools?
Malcolm Sargent is a lot larger than Bluecoat (3 form entry vs 1) but I’ve heard from parents that, because it’s bigger, it has great resources and a lot to offer in comparison. It’s a very popular school with a great reputation and oversubscribed as a result which I think says a lot!
Bluecoat is the only ofsted outstanding school in Stamford and I’ve heard it has excellent SEN provision compared to other schools. Sadly I think there’s a degree of snobbery from some families as there’s a much higher number of children classed as disadvantaged/on FSM and I know some parents avoid purely for this reason.

Have you considered any of the other primaries in Stamford and surrounding villages?

blankiesandunicorns Wed 25-Nov-20 17:51:20

I don't live in the area myself but have family who's children go to Malcolm Sergent, and a member of my family works at the school. From what I know it's a really good school and good with children who have additional needs

1frenchfoodie Tue 02-Feb-21 19:28:31

Did the move go smoothly @Sunshinecat ? I’m planning a move to Stamford in July/August and would be very interest in your experience of out of cycle school applications and the school you ended up sending your dds to.

Sunshinecat Fri 05-Feb-21 12:07:06

Hi apologies for the delay in responding! Thanks so much for the advice @hundredsnthousands and @blankiesandunicorns! Due to covid our move was delayed so we are hoping to have moved by July in time for the new school year. @1frenchfoodie so we should be moving around the same time!! We are looking at Stamford and yes the surrounding villages. Probably no longer than a 15 min drive to Stamford. We are moving from Ireland so things are tricky getting over to view houses at the moment!

OP’s posts: |
1frenchfoodie Fri 05-Feb-21 18:35:47

Hi @Sunshinecat good luck with the house and school search. We are pretty focused on Stamford but probably going to have to rent initially as we are based in France and the border is closed.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in