Belmont Holmbury st Mary/Longacre

(4 Posts)
Arisaig1 Sat 03-Oct-20 18:02:51

Any views on these schools for a bright non sporty child. I want pastoral care but strong teaching and a good part to 11 plus academic (although not top tier like Kings/Hampton) secondary schools.

OP’s posts: |
HyperHippo Sat 03-Oct-20 22:06:44

Both have similar balance of strengths and weaknesses. Belmont is quite cosy, small and outdoorsy. It goes to 16 now so probably less focus on 11+, however much they say they still do prep for it.

Longacre is well liked. I personally wasn't sure on it when I looked around (I'm a teacher so saw things perhaps other parents wouldn't). It gets pupils into good schools at 11+. I found it a bit backwards in ways and lacking spark but that was partly personal opinion of what I like in a school.

If you are looking for tier below Hampton/Kings/RGS then I guess you are thinking of St John's, Reids, Freemans, Epsom? Perhaps look at Feltonfleet, Danes Hill, Ripley Court, Parkside, Millbourne Lodge, Aldro, Lanesborough, Edgeborough, Highfield & Brookham etc location depending? They all strongly feed into those academic schools.

Arisaig1 Sun 04-Oct-20 08:47:48

I have also heard good reports re L what were the backwards elements you were worried about? I’m keen fir access to Reigate Or St John’s Or possibly more my child is probably top quartile/third having had a profess run all view but lacks confidence. L dies seem to get kids into those 2nd tier and indeed first tier schools like RGS Guildford. Concerned B might be a bit less academically and the going to 16 is a concern. Lanesborough might be too much as I’ve heard it’s really for high flyers and you need to be in that competitive mode have heard pastoral care string there tho. V grateful for your views.

OP’s posts: |
HyperHippo Sun 04-Oct-20 18:42:29

I would go and look at longacre and decide for yourself.

If you are keen for Reigate then look at their preps - Chinthurst and St Mary's and places like Downsend are good for st johns etc.

My son wasn't a high flier at lanesborough but loved it. I always think if they get a place then it means it will be a good school for them. If they don't, it's a sign to look elsewhere.

You have so many choices to be honest as you're being realistic re senior choices.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in