Snotty cold and post nasal cough

(7 Posts)
TinyTear Mon 21-Sep-20 10:44:51

Not sure where to post this, but choosing this topic as Covid is one of the reasons I'm not sending child to school today.

Friday evening comes down with snotty cold, no temp... over weekend drippy snot, still no temp, cleared up a bit when outside, child was perfectly fine in herself, not even needing to nap, eating like there was no tomorrow

today temp 36.8, less drippy but congested so will keep her home...

however, child seems to be starting to get a post nasal hem-hem cough... now I know that isn't Covid... will I be able to send child tomorrow or the day after?

Don't want to send child obviously ill (hence staying in today) but can't keep them in for ages because of a small post-cold cough

Head is usually very high on attendance (Primary) but wrote on the newsletter to this term keep children home with a sniffle or mild symptoms...

Do I try and ask the Head? Do I wait to see if child is still having this hem-hem post nasal drip mild cough tomorrow?

If child is like me, I ALWAYS have a cough after a cold... always have for 40 years...

OP’s posts: |
Zodlebud Mon 21-Sep-20 12:18:50

We have the same here. It’s just a cold.

I sent her in today as she’s well enough for school. I did send the teacher a courtesy email though explaining in full all of her symptoms and how we can be confident it’s not COVID19. Teacher replied that they had it too......

TinyTear Mon 21-Sep-20 13:48:26

Thanks...the hem-hem stopped since that first bit on wake up... not even enough to be called a proper cough

SisyphusAndTheRockOfUntidiness Mon 21-Sep-20 13:56:16

DD had this too, last week. Spiked a massive temperature, just for a few hours one night. Still a bit snotty, & a slight intermittent cough. We kept her off for 2 days, as she tends to vomit when she is ill (always has done) but she's back at school now. Definitely just a cold though. I quizzed her about how she felt, we were actually more worried about meningitis, she was so violently sick she developed petichiae on her face (she always does this when sick or badly coughing) but we were worried it might be a rash.

Now DH & I have it. It's not nice. sad

HyperHippo Mon 21-Sep-20 13:57:04

I am a teacher and went in with a cold last week but by Friday my hem hem type coldy cough became a continuous full-on cough at which point I went and got tested. Now stuck at home waiting for result - feels silly as I am pretty certain it is my usual cold/asthma/cough combination but the cough got to a point it was embarrassing to be out, at work and on the train etc and possibly risky so became a better to be safe than sorry situation.

I reckon if it is just a light coldy cough due to mucus then just let teacher know and send them in or have a day off to let the cough go and then go back once rested (as opposed to two weeks off or waiting for a test).

Look up medicines to help with post nasal drip.

TinyTear Mon 21-Sep-20 14:32:13

Thanks @HyperHippo
I will see if I can reach a teacher when I collect the sibling. Although as it's from after school club I don't see many people...

Seems to be throat clearing when it comes I counted two all day also because I don't think she is drinking enough water to dilute the snot

DH seems to want to keep her in tomorrow as well. I'll check with school and see how it goes

Thanks. Hope you get a negative test

Yellowmellow2 Mon 21-Sep-20 17:52:08

HyperHippo

I am a teacher and went in with a cold last week but by Friday my hem hem type coldy cough became a continuous full-on cough at which point I went and got tested. Now stuck at home waiting for result - feels silly as I am pretty certain it is my usual cold/asthma/cough combination but the cough got to a point it was embarrassing to be out, at work and on the train etc and possibly risky so became a better to be safe than sorry situation.

I reckon if it is just a light coldy cough due to mucus then just let teacher know and send them in or have a day off to let the cough go and then go back once rested (as opposed to two weeks off or waiting for a test).

Look up medicines to help with post nasal drip.

I am a teacher and I had almost exactly the same problem! I was sure it was just the end of a cold cough but colleagues kept hearing me having coughing fits across the day which left me with no choice. I had to go and get a test. I missed one day of school because of testing delay but luckily the test came back negative. Hope yours does too!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in