Talk

Advanced search

top tips please for first time parent reading helper

(12 Posts)
brimfull Fri 05-Oct-07 13:00:10

I am starting this on monday in ds' reception class.

Any do's and dont's I should know about?

thanks

ShrinkingViolet Fri 05-Oct-07 13:04:30

do check out the reading levels of the DC of the pushy mums in the playground, but don't let the teacher catch you wink

brimfull Fri 05-Oct-07 13:08:04

can't be arsed with all that crap now,was a bit like that with dd 10 yrs ago,but have seen the light now smile

I am interested to see how ds behaves in class though <<<<<scared>>>>>

grumpyfrumpy Fri 05-Oct-07 13:10:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShrinkingViolet Fri 05-Oct-07 13:15:33

do it the same way as you do at home, plenty of encouragement and talking about the story. Oh, and hope that at least some of them have books with words - that drove me bananas with DD1, then endless "plant grows, has seeds, seeds scatter, new plant grows" stuff.

brimfull Fri 05-Oct-07 13:24:04

yes ds has just this week got a book with actual words...he is so proud of himself.

Thinks he can read now,was shouting to everyone
like a blind man who could suddenly see
"I can read!"

<<<<bless his little cotton socks>>>>>

cat64 Fri 05-Oct-07 13:31:43

Message withdrawn

Eliza2 Fri 05-Oct-07 15:14:20

You'll see a big range of ability. For some of them, even knowing which way the pages are turned will be an achievement. Encouragement definitely works. Most children will enjoy the one-to-one attention and you will make some new small friends. Make sure you know which basket the various levels of books are in. I have to rely on the children as I can't remember which way round the colour stickers work.

brimfull Fri 05-Oct-07 16:13:03

rightio thanks very much

so should I wear my "prime of miss jean brodie reading glasses"?? lolwink

lljkk Fri 05-Oct-07 18:39:15

Glasses can be handy for reluctant readers -- the ones who try to mess about and lie on the table instead. Then you peer over the glasses and put on school marm manner: "Now, that isn't how we behave in school, is it?"

But most of them will be delighted at 1-to-1 adult attention and will really try hard for you. You want to know what phonics system the school is using to sound out words, and what kinds of comments you might be asked to write down (if any).

Wear your hair tied back so that you don't get headlice off of the little darlings.

brimfull Fri 05-Oct-07 19:38:28

eeww at lice,hair too short to tie up,but will keep my head a suitably nit free distance.
thanks

hawesmead5 Fri 05-Oct-07 20:16:35

Try to encourage the children to relate the story to their own experiences. Even the most shy child will love to talk about their trip to the swimming pool or what they ate at a friends party. Most of all encorage the children constantly !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now