Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ginn reading books. Anyone else think they are.....crap?

(5 Posts)
tiredemma Thu 04-Oct-07 14:11:45

Ds2 went into yr 2 in sept, his new teacher changed his old book to a Ginn one. Not very rivetting, he is bored ( I am bored listening to it)

Its parents evening tonight- should I say something, or leave it?

marialuisa Thu 04-Oct-07 14:51:00

I thought they were pretty good actually, especially the non-fiction ones. If it's dreadful I'd mention it to the teacher though.

SoMuchToBits Thu 04-Oct-07 15:01:54

I hated them - so boring! Would rather have Oxford Reading Tree any day. A friend of mine who is a primary school teacher also says she doesn't like them much, compared to the alternatives.

EmsMum Thu 04-Oct-07 15:07:24

DD much preferred ORT in infants. Nowadays (yr 4) some of the Ginn are quite good...I( think her current ones are ginn level 9 ), themes like Dinosaurs which have factual sections, some fiction and poems.
( I do rather miss Floppy though )

Mention it to the teacher - reading boring books is demotivating. If there is some good reason why the teacher wants him to do the Ginn, then it'll help you to know the rationale.

janinlondon Thu 04-Oct-07 15:17:26

I think a mixture of reading schemes is good. Our school explained that when students transfer to us from a school where only one scheme is used the children are sometimes flummoxed by different sentence construction/names/grammar. We use Ginn in conjunction with ORT and another scheme, and it seems to work well. But if DS is really bored maybe the level they have chosen is wrong?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now