Talk

Advanced search

Bilingual son 5

(7 Posts)
Lolakath19 Mon 03-Aug-20 22:15:26

Hi everyone
My son turned 5 in March and is due to start year 1 in September. His dad and I are both French and spending the summer in France with the family. I realised over the last few days that is English vocabulary is decreasing very quickly and I am now scared that he will struggle when we come back.
He was fine in English at end of reception. We tried to read book in English regularly still at the moment but it looks like he does. It understand what he is reading any more (was level 6 ort at end of the year).
He has done little progress in his French but is not speaking that much either.
Any suggestion?

OP’s posts: |
whereorwhere Mon 03-Aug-20 22:23:07

He will be fine - as soon as he is back at school he will be speaking English in no time

TheWhalrus Mon 03-Aug-20 22:25:13

Agreed, he'll be fine

JoJoSM2 Thu 06-Aug-20 18:48:13

I also think he’ll be fine. I’d just make time to read and develop his language skills beyond everyday conversations in both languages for best development.

AudaCityLimits Thu 06-Aug-20 18:56:38

He will be absolutely fine- English is everywhere, they learn it by osmosis! We don't speak English at home and my DC have barely spoken any English at all during lockdown, but they spoke to English friends last week and it was as if they'd never stopped.

SonEtLumiere Thu 06-Aug-20 18:59:31

He’ll be fine!

We are in the same position and the kids are all fluent in the local language.

footprintsintheslow Thu 06-Aug-20 19:09:44

He will be completely fine. Here in Wales we have children starting Welsh medium schools with no knowledge of the language. And I mean not one word. Then by Christmas they are near fluent.

Your son will fly!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in