Talk

Advanced search

Calling all NI parents who are planning for AQE/GL

(10 Posts)
FedUpWithBriiiiick Sat 01-Aug-20 09:42:42

The Department of Education Committee has published a survey for parents whose kids are intending to do post-primary transfer tests.

https://twitter.com/NIACfEd/status/1289173547198246912?s=20

OP’s posts: |
NancyNoNickers Sat 01-Aug-20 09:45:28

Bumping- thank you!

FedUpWithBriiiiick Sat 01-Aug-20 09:46:08

Title reported for grammatical error 😳

OP’s posts: |
WeAreFromThePlanetDuplo Tue 06-Oct-20 16:41:18

@FedUpWithBriiiiick and @NancyNoNickers

Hello, I know this thread hasn't had a post on it for a while, but I wondered whether you fancy a mutual support thread for the all horror that is the AQE. smile

WeAreFromThePlanetDuplo Tue 06-Oct-20 16:42:46

The grammatical errors are catching, I meant to say the all encompassing horror.

<Hangs head and weeps for child's future.>

AutumnSummersBuffysCousin Tue 06-Oct-20 18:42:57

@WeAreFromThePlanetDuplo my DS is in P6, and about to start with a tutor next week. Afraid of how things will go Covid wise so want to get as much into his brain from a real teacher while I can! Is your child doing it this year?

Exasperatedcroc Tue 06-Oct-20 18:47:22

My DS is P7 and has worked really hard for Transfer. I was so annoyed for him and his friends when it was postponed. They just want to get it over and done with and to get on with the fun part of P7. I'm really afraid it will get cancelled in January and God knows what will happen then.

WeAreFromThePlanetDuplo Tue 06-Oct-20 19:01:55

Yes, DD is in P7. What will happen if it’s cancelled, do you think? Would schools admit based on distance?
Not that I think it will be cancelled, I saw a comment on a news story recently where it said the AQE is like a cockroach in that it would survive a nuclear blast. grin

I reckon they’ll do socially distanced exams.

Exasperatedcroc Tue 06-Oct-20 19:13:37

I know some schools in several areas, Newry and some others, announced early on that they wouldn't be relying on the transfer test this year but instead would base it on their other criteria. They seem to be things like older sibling or parent attended the school or on Free School Meals. Whilst I agree with that type of criteria if the transfer was abolished altogether and we had a properly comprehensive system, I can't see how it will work for just one cohort.

WeAreFromThePlanetDuplo Wed 07-Oct-20 07:27:00

Oh, I would love a fully comprehensive system.

Have any of the schools not using the test for admissions released their 2021 criteria yet?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in