Talk

Advanced search

Year 3 girls discouraged/not allowed to join Football club - is this legal?

(6 Posts)
Enid Mon 01-Oct-07 16:17:23

Dd1 would like to do football after school on a Monday (there is no netball/hockey for Year 3's). One other girl does it (there are about 15 boys) but her mother said that the head was very negative and in fact is watching the practice today to see if Katy 'gets near the ball' - if she doesn't she is going to stop her doing it.

Surely this is illegal?

heifer Mon 01-Oct-07 16:26:38

I thought that the schools had to let girls play up to 11.

I can remember someone at my junior school who was brilliant at footie and she wanted to play, but I think that at aged 11 she had to play girls and girl teams didn't exist at the time.

Now there are loads of teams around, how about taking her to a girl footie club?

Surely it is up to the coach to make sure that Katy gets near the ball, isn't that what a good coach does, makes sure that everyone is involved...

bluejelly Mon 01-Oct-07 16:29:40

Don't know about illegal, it is certainly outrageous
My dd is in year 3 and is the only girl at football club
I'd kick up a huge fuss if I were you

Skribble Mon 01-Oct-07 16:30:28

What age is she, ATM the FA are for mixed teams and training up to the age of 11, but considering looking at taking this age up to u15 I think

MrsFogi Mon 01-Oct-07 16:33:00

My sister had this problem when she was in primary school, she wanted to play and the head wouldn't let her. In the end my father had to go in (as my mother's arguments fell on deaf ears) to talk to the head. She was then allowed to play and ended up being captain of the school's team! Keep perservering. Whether or not illegal I would say you could put together some pretty good arguments about sex discrimination.

Twiglett Mon 01-Oct-07 16:35:00

oooo 'ello .. are you back then?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: