Talk

Advanced search

Looking for private primary school recommendations near Worcester Park chool from Year 2/Year 3

(13 Posts)
chami1982 Wed 15-Jul-20 16:37:16

We are looking for private schooling for our DD from Sep 20 or Sep 21. She is in year 1 now at Dorchester Primary school.
My reasons for private schooling is child to teacher ratio, ( 1:15 Vs 1:30) and higher focus on academics & extracurricular (music and sports) activities.

What are your reasons for sending kids to private primary school and do you have any recommendations on the schools ?

We have been to Seaton House School and Sutton High School - both have waiting. Wimbledon High and Surbiton High School will be within 40 min commute - but again on waiting.

My wife doesnt drive car so need recommendation on schools which have bus service or reasonable distance so I can drop off/pick up.

thanks

OP’s posts: |
Corblimbea Sun 19-Jul-20 09:50:05

Are you sure Sutton high has a waiting list? @chami1982. I just applied for my y6 daughter to y7 and y1 daughter to y2 in September. They had places for both And only a waiting list for y3/5. My daughter was assessed last week for y6 and y2 offered a place straight away after a meeting with the head. They The 213/151 goes straight there from Worcester Park. Now just have to sort out my son!

ChristopherTracy Mon 20-Jul-20 10:54:43

The only other one that sounds vaguely suitable OP is Ewell Castle which should be closer to you.

chami1982 Mon 20-Jul-20 12:58:23

Sorry, Sutton High - no waiting list but I heard better reviews on Seaton High so was not considering Sutton High. But considering it could be difficult to get into Seaton High/ Wimbledon High, may be I should enroll my DD in Sutton High.

chami1982 Mon 20-Jul-20 13:09:44

How is the "The Study School" in New Malden ?

ChristopherTracy Mon 20-Jul-20 13:36:29

Seaton House is so tiny you have to put your name down well in advance for reception. SHS would be a much better option I would think as the sports and facilities are much better - though the cost reflects this.

JoJoSM2 Tue 21-Jul-20 09:41:26

Seaton House was rated number 1 prep in England in the Sunday Times last year so I’d imagine there’d be a waiting list. Sutton High is a very nice school from what I’ve heard from parents. Ewell Castle is co-ed and has a reputation for being on the less academic side of things. There’s also that newly opened Liberty Woodland School in Worcester Park but it’s all a bit new and a bit hippie so not sure if that’s what you’re after.

Another one would be Downsend in Epsom. It should be easily accessible for you by train but I don’t know much about the school.

Or if you want the tiniest classes then Collingwood in Wallington is a small co-Ed prep with a family atmosphere. It’d be a 4(?) stops on the X26 but might take a while in the rush hour.

Banstead Prep has lovely setting and grounds but probably not realistic without a car (but I’m not completely sure).

chami1982 Thu 23-Jul-20 22:20:14

JoJoSM2

Seaton House was rated number 1 prep in England in the Sunday Times last year so I’d imagine there’d be a waiting list. Sutton High is a very nice school from what I’ve heard from parents. Ewell Castle is co-ed and has a reputation for being on the less academic side of things. There’s also that newly opened Liberty Woodland School in Worcester Park but it’s all a bit new and a bit hippie so not sure if that’s what you’re after.

Another one would be Downsend in Epsom. It should be easily accessible for you by train but I don’t know much about the school.

Or if you want the tiniest classes then Collingwood in Wallington is a small co-Ed prep with a family atmosphere. It’d be a 4(?) stops on the X26 but might take a while in the rush hour.

Banstead Prep has lovely setting and grounds but probably not realistic without a car (but I’m not completely sure).

Thanks @JoJoSM2. Collingwood, Banstead prep & Downsend will be 45-65 min bus commute or 20-35 min car commute so may be tricky. Assuming Sutton High School may have availability, its positive reviews, closer distance 22 min bus, I will keep it as top preference.
Other top preference include Wimbledon High and Seaton House, but if it is waiting there (with less chances to open vacancy), believe I should explore Sutton High further.

I could not find any ranking details for Sutton High. Do you know where can I find it ?

ChristopherTracy Fri 24-Jul-20 10:35:15

Lots of private schools don't take part in those rankings as they don't take the sats that seriously. They aren't universal.

JoJoSM2 Fri 24-Jul-20 14:57:49

The thing about being highly rated isn’t that the school is necessarily better for your child but that it tends to make the school more popular/difficult to get into. Wimbledon High is also considered very academic. Sutton High has a greater range of abilities but still on very much the academic side of things.

JoJoSM2 Fri 24-Jul-20 14:59:27

Have you actually visited the schools yet? There might be a range of factors that parents consider like facilities, co-curricular provision, the head and other teachers etc.

chami1982 Fri 24-Jul-20 20:59:37

JoJoSM2

Have you actually visited the schools yet? There might be a range of factors that parents consider like facilities, co-curricular provision, the head and other teachers etc.

Yes, we had been to Seaton House on a recent open day and got really good vibes to it and felt very inclusive. Sutton High - we had been there 6 months back and had a good look at vast campus across multiple buildings and had a short chat with head teacher who seemed quite formal.

JoJoSM2 Sat 25-Jul-20 14:31:18

I hope you at a place at Seaton House - sounds like it felt like the right school.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in