Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Won't do Phonics

(5 Posts)
harrisey Tue 25-Sep-07 15:44:48

ds is in primary one and is TOTALLY dismissive of the fun, new, multisensory approach to phonics.

Trying to get him to do the action for the letter, all I get is 'Muuuu-uuuum, I know its a c-c-c, I dont need to do an action!!'. He does know all his letters, nad most of the sounds already (from watching dd1 doing them for the last 2 years!) and just can't be *rsed doing them himself.

Should I make him or am I putting him off by doing it? Not sure!

HonoriaGlossop Tue 25-Sep-07 16:11:27

Don't make him. The point of the actions is to help with the learning of the sounds, surely? No point if he already knows them IMO.

hunkermunker Tue 25-Sep-07 16:13:28

I would have been SO angry if I'd been "taught" to read using phonics.

I know, I know, I know, it works for lots of children.

But for me, it was pointless and babyish. Luckily I went to a school that kind of threw children at books and hoped they stuck. Luckily for me, that is! Mind you, same approach to maths means I can't count to save my life now...

sarahgg Tue 25-Sep-07 16:15:26

dd1 just started year2. Last year her school started phonics (system called ERR) after learning 'normally' in reception. She felt a total plonker doing the sound, and I thought she sounded as if she had some kind of problem! I think the system might work great if they start in reception, but to change half way through is just plain confusing. It also doesn't allow for different ways of learning. Some kids find one method easier than the other. DD now reading fantastically, she used phonics in class but at home we stuck to system she started with, mainly 'cos I found phonics quite limiting in what she could read. I don't believe that beyond the basics, the english language is based on phonetic sounds so at some point they have to deviate from it any way.

harrisey Tue 25-Sep-07 17:12:03

My instinct is not to make him. The trouble - he's in Gaelic school, and I pretty well know Gaelic phonics (can read text in Gaelic though I have no idea what it means), but I dont want him missing something cos I am missing it. I dont think it will keep him back, he's very keen.

Maybe I'll have a word with the teacher, but not only is she very young and keen, but I used to teach her a loooon gtime ago and dont want her thinking I'm looking for special treatment or am a fussy mother!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now