Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

You know when your child starts school and you want to know all about it and they don't tell you anything....

(5 Posts)
FabulousKbear Sat 22-Sep-07 21:18:15

what did you eat today? nothing

what did you learn today? nothing

who did you play with today? nothing

what's your teacher like? nice

What happens in assembly? can't remember

Well, DS has just started Year One and tonight, from nowhere, without being prompted, I have just had an hour long conversation with him about his class, his friends, who he sits with at what lesson, what he likes best, who is naughty who is good, what he overheard his teacher saying about him, what he thinks of the playground, what happens when someone falls over and everyone looks after the child that's hurt while one runs for the teacher! It was like a switch went on!

That'll be my lot now until the juniors!

wheresthehamster Sat 22-Sep-07 21:28:04

lol!

After many years of getting the same response I now ask friends dcs for 'news'.

What I do when I pick dd3 up is to ask what was the best thing that happened today and what was the worse thing that happened today.
That normally gets some sort of response and MAY even prompt her to tell me TWO things grin

sockmonkey Sat 22-Sep-07 21:33:49

I had the same thing for ages when DS1 started nursery.
What did you do today? Played with cars and toys.
That's all he ever said.
As part of bedtime routine I will tell him what I did that day, then he will usually tell me something he did. It's a work in progress. wink

twofishes Fri 28-Sep-07 21:54:05

ah see heres where my sales training comes in ..don't ask a closed question , my DS1 has gone mute about school since starting Yr1 so now I give multiple choice...

" So was today a Good day, Bad Day or just Okay day?"

" Did you eat Slime, sanwiches or Hot Food for Dinner?" etc etc

ChasingSquirrels Fri 28-Sep-07 22:00:06

or just don't ask, it's their world, they haven't really had their own space before that you didn't know all about - let them revel in it.
When I pick ds1 (reception) up I say "have you had a good day?", and that is it.
He has now started to talk about it at tea-time or in the bath, but I just respond to his questions, rather than pushing him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now