This is a Premium feature
Reception in September when would we hear anything?(32 Posts)
We had our email of a school reception place on April 16th as expected, but there was no link or anything we had to do to accept it, so I assumed it was all just automatic and we'd hear from school in due course.
It's been suggested I should phone the school as we've had nothing from them, to check DS is on the list and we've not missed out on any communication.
I feel it's a bad time to call the school when they have other stresses and strains to deal with and don't want to bother them unnecessarily (and get a reputation for being a pain before my son has even started!)
So, has anyone else with a September starter heard anything directly from school or had to 'accept' the place when it was offered? The person who thinks I should call has no primary children so not up to date. Would be grateful to know if it's worth a phone call or not.
Usually your place is allocated and you have to turn it down if you don’t want it. If you do want it, whereI live, you don’t need to do anything more. New starter packs and details of settling days usually sent after half term - so about now. Obviously things will be different this year, wrt settling days and home visits at least.
I live close to a county boarder so I've got two children in schools in two different counties. In one we had to accept the allocated place and in the other we didn't.
In ordinary times, chools generally don't even start thinking about the new reception children until after the SATs. So pretty much at this exact time. And of course these aren't ordinary times.
Nobody knows what is going to happen in September so it's unlikely that schools are going to be in a position to do what they normally do and send out information.
I'd just prepare in the ways people can at home. Learn how to put on and fasten your own coat, dressing and undressing, ask him to do do tasks with increasing numbers of steps etc
Order your name tapes and a water bottle that doesn't leak and a PE bag they can regognise from across the room even if the school has a standard one.
You definitely need to go on the local authority website and confirm the place! Did you do that? Obviously schools are busy but they are responding to emails. We have received communication about reception confirming our contact details and teacher.
Oh I see another reply says nothing about accepting the place. Must vary by local authority. Anyway, no harm in emailing the school! They will be used to such enquiries
My DD starts this September. In April when allocated I had to go to gov website and confirm place. Since then have had a few letters from school saying it's unusual times but they will do all they can to ensure a smooth transition. Also her reception teacher has rang to introduce herself and sent me an 'all about me' form to fill out about dd. She will also be in touch with nursery to help with transition.
Plus a link has been sent for uniform etc so I would definitely ring the school as by now you should have had some recognition
We didn't have to do anything unless we didn't want the place. The school contacted us a few days after the email to confirm we wanted the place though. We now get daily little tasks from the teacher ds will have when he starts. I just hope he actually gets to bloody go!
Just email the school office and ask them to confirm the place.
We have sent out all admissions letters and welcome packs to our new YR and all parents will be phoned over the next few weeks.
It’s looking increasingly likely that we will not be starting the children full time until October half term at the earliest though.
OP, does your local authority also have a portal? If so, didn't you need to go on and accept the place on that? They seem to work slightly differently depending on the council but I'd definitely check the portal or phone someone (LA/school) and check. You don't want to wait until the end of June and then find out there's a problem (which hopefully there isn't)
It varies by local authority. I would ring the school in your situation.
I received an offer by email, didn’t have to do anything, just wait to hear from the school. I had an email from the school fairly soon afterwards saying they didn’t know what they would be doing, nothing since then!
Ok that's all reassuring, thank you. The person I was speaking to was shocked I haven't bought uniform yet, but I've no idea what the requirements are, I was thinking of a shopping trip in second half of August maybe (give him that extra chance to grow before I buy).
I ordered name tapes the other week, on to that one, but water bottle and bag is a good point. Some good advice on preparing them too.
I've checked the LA website several times but there is nothing anywhere about accepting a place, just appeals etc so I think all is in order for now. I may email at end of June if we still haven't had anything by then.
Or looking at cross posts maybe I shouldn't wait that long! I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Just didn't want to be mithering them without good reason. Thanks.
Look at the school website, all the uniform and equipment requirements will be on there. Logoed stuff will probably need ordering soon.
We had to confirm our place when we received the offer but beyond that we have heard nothing. Would really like something, even if it just a letter welcoming DS to the school but I realise the school have bigger issues at the moment.
The uniform information is available in the prospectus on their website so it might be worth checking there. Am going to get it ordered this month to avoid the rush later in the summer. Will leave shoes until August though.
In our area we had to accept the place offered on both the LA portal and there were instructions on contacting the school to also confirm the place to provide proof of address etc. You need to follow this up ASAP - there was a deadline by which we had to respond by. We have also had welcome packs through very quickly which contained details for a parents information evening at the end of June (COVID=19 permitting)
We had to accept the place by contacting the school/accepting the place on the government gateway website.
We had our admission form sent by the school last week and I filled it in and sent it back. Then, my sons teacher rang me yesterday and they’re organising a Zoom meeting in September for parents and we’re not sure yet about whether the teacher will still come to the house.
So we’re quite a way along the process.
I've looked at the website and there's nothing about uniform on there but will have another look as it's not the most intuitive website and I might have missed it.
My son is quite small so don't want to buy uniform which is too small by september or equally the opposite. At the moment age 2-3 trousers are fine in leg but big on his waist. Dreading finding uniform to fit him! But anyway that's a different thread...
Just to add with ordering branded uniforms eg. jumpers - I was going to wait until after the parents info evening as apparently there will be samples to physically look at the sizing BUT I went on the on the supplier website a couple of days ago and they are currently quoting upto 15 weeks for delivery! And then from speaking to an couple of neighbours who's DC's started last year at the school they all said that the uniform took a long time to be delivered and this was obviously pre-covid 19 effecting manufacturing productivity and many kids spent the 1st half term without uniform due to delays and parents ordering a week before school started!
Wait til nearer Sept to get uniform!! Whoever I’ve bought it early, I’ve had to return for larger sizes in August!!
Next do school uniform trousers and shorts from Age 3.
We got a welcome letter at the beginning of May that said they'd be in touch about induction arrangements this month, and a form to fill in about your child. Where I am you don't have to confirm the place.
So far I've bought some generic school uniform with lots of growth room and name tags. We haven't had the list yet so I took a punt based on the list they sent out last year, on the website (as Sainsbury's has 100-day returns at the moment).
Schools are open, so if you'd feel happier touching base with them, do it. There maybe some office staff off, but they won't be as busy as last week. I didn't worry about buying primary school uniform until mid/end July. Never had a problem. Secondary is the one to worry about, needs to be done in June around here.
We got information in the post in mid June last year. They arranged a home visit and morning inductions in July. They might have to do what they can either by video call where possible or in a socially distanced way (less children at a time).
Tu at Sainsbury's usually have a 25% off sale for a few days in mid August (for trousers, skirts, polo necks etc). Some items/sizes can sell out quickly though. Don't get shoes too early in case DS grows out of them.
It's all a bit uncertain for September still (children might be going in smaller numbers or part time to allow fewer per classroom) so probably safer not to rush into spending a lot. Find out whether non logo jumper is allowed (could still get one but have generic spares).
If what you buy is too big you'll get to use it later on. (Still need to get right size though, I know, or take up hems and roll up sleeves!)
I accepted DS's place through LA portal in April but have heard nothing since then. Already have 2 DC at the school, though, and I know they've been very focussed on the reopening this week.
I think the fundamental problem is that no one has any idea what will happen in September. If all year groups are back, there is no way that they can be in simultaneously in many schools, unless the requirement for social distancing has gone. So I think they're focussing on this term for now and potentially accommodating any further year groups they're told to take.
I haven't done anything to prep him as yet aside from letting him know (and encouraging him to get dressed etc). September is so far off for him at this stage. I don't normally bother with uniform for any of them until July/August - they do tend to grow.
Looking at a zoom/ team meeting for the whole group induction in July.
As we don't know what is happening in Sept we haven't finalised anything yet.
Might delay the new Reception start by a week? Nothing certain as yet.