Key workers who’s children are attending school

(18 Posts)
Hawkin Tue 19-May-20 18:36:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
Helspopje Tue 19-May-20 18:37:39

Childcare- making Pom poms, doing art, watching movies, playing I the playground

And catching up on set homeschooling with on the weekend

It’s been sodding stupidly stressful

Tidypidy Tue 19-May-20 18:37:41

At our school they've done the work set by teachers (for everyone on the school website) in the mornings then craft in the afternoons.

WillowSummerSloth Tue 19-May-20 18:39:05

Mine love it! Probably because they're not doing much work. The teachers have been amazing - really positive and cheerful. We've been relaxed about it so the kids feel calm and happy. I know it's dependent on personality but it's a lovely, warm, relaxed atmosphere. Although I am keen for them to get back to learning!

Hawkin Tue 19-May-20 18:40:08

George22 Tue 19-May-20 18:40:27

Same as Tidypidy. Ours have been doing the set work on the morning of the 2 days they are in. They play and do craft. They are enjoying it and have made new friends. It’s been a lifesaver and eased my fears and worries with its consistency in their lives.

Hawkin Tue 19-May-20 18:41:42

Advertisement

WillowSummerSloth Tue 19-May-20 18:41:55

We just do a little in the evenings and they do a small amount of set work at school. I'm so grateful they can go though and we spend enough time at the weekend playing games and chatting that I don't think they're falling behind. Hope it goes well for your DS

Hawkin Tue 19-May-20 18:42:37

GrimmsFairytales Tue 19-May-20 18:43:51

Some work in the mornings for about an hour, then lots of crafts and outside play.

It's very difficult to much learning due to the mix of ages.

Noworrieshere Tue 19-May-20 18:44:31

Round our way all the kids go to the local high school, so kids from 8 different primary schools. Teachers do either morning or afternoon shifts Max 5 kids per room, you need to stay with those kids for breaks and lunch. Some teachers do a quiz or have a bit of a chat with the kids, others just sit at the front and supervise. It's not fun. It's safe, but not fun. Sorry, that's a bit miserable. Hopefully it's more fun elsewhere, or easier if you are going to your own school.

Hawkin Tue 19-May-20 18:46:51

SandieCheeks Tue 19-May-20 18:47:47

My 9 year old goes occasionally and enjoys it.

Joe Wicks in the hall, then the home learning stuff their teacher has set.
Lunch all spaced out.
In the afternoons they do games or dance in the hall, sports or gardening outside. Drawing or crafts.
They all have to stay apart from each other and the teacher.

backinaminute Tue 19-May-20 18:47:52

The same here really. They have a 'theme' for the week, such as Pirates or the such like. Then some maths and English in the morning, some crafts and then basically 'pe' or playing outside in the afternoon. There seems to be quite a bit of reading to each other. Mine are only going part time, when they can't be at home with me, but they always ask to go everyday. It's been a lifesaver, and they are so happy. They've adapted really well to the 'weirdness' of it and have accepted social distancing (well as much as they do), so I'm not worried about them going back to something different in the same way my friends are.

winesolveseverything Tue 19-May-20 18:48:00

Mine have been working.
They have also done cooking, painting, playing, reading, PE type things... all sorts. They take their scooters for outside. Most days they are the only 2 there. Sometimes another child comes too.
The after school member of staff brings her children with her so they love having some company to play outside with.
It's been fab by all accounts. They currently do 3 or 4 days per week- I'm hoping they will both be back full time from the start of June. Need some normality now.

Rover83 Tue 19-May-20 18:52:15

Kids at my local school have been split for the morning into their age group. R, 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6 each class has it's own teacher and TA, they change every day but it's a 3 form entry so they've combined 6 classes so each teacher appears to do 1 day a week with the class. The children do work posted to their online portal in the morning and then play or do crafts for the rest of the day. They are spending a lot of time outside but they have specific areas to play and dont mix outside of their class group

WrongKindOfFace Tue 19-May-20 19:20:37

It’s been fine. Quite a few in so they’re divided by age. They’re not doing normal lessons but they are doing English and maths, plus topic based work (new theme every week).

Hawkin Tue 19-May-20 19:41:35

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in