Talk

Advanced search

LSAs - can you advise ?

(11 Posts)
MaryAnnSingleton Tue 18-Sep-07 17:23:01

my son's school is adverising for LSAs, 3-4 days a week - am thinking of applying..what is involved and what should I put in my application ? any advice ? TIA !

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 18-Sep-07 17:27:46

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 18-Sep-07 17:47:30

will bump again in case anyone can help !

saltire Tue 18-Sep-07 17:51:48

I was going to start exactly the same thread. My neighbour came to tell me they are going to be advertising at the local secondary school, but I wasn't sure what is involved.
I'll watch this one and see what responses you get smile

octoandflash Tue 18-Sep-07 17:56:48

It depends really - they tend to have a good idea exactly what you will need to do and it should be in the job description.

I was a secondary TA and you could either do EBD (behavioural) or SPLD - learning difficulties. I was SPLD - helping with reading, comprehension and one to one stuff but in reality it was more EBD due to the nature if some of the bottom classes I was in and the behaviour - a shame really as felt the ones who atually needed help got a bit of a rough deal. Although some pupils do need virtually one to one support all the time and you have to stay with them. At this point in the term they will have done/been doing all the testing and know more about who needs help and the type of help needed.

All kinds of people become TAs - you don't have to have specific qualifications but you can d courses/training. SOme schools may ask for qualifications but again that would be in the job advert.

Good luck smile

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 18-Sep-07 18:16:55

thanks octoandflash - that's helpful...will pick up an application pack at school

yetihed Tue 18-Sep-07 18:32:32

Hi!
I am a primary teacher, and can tell you that LSAs in primary schools also have a range of jobs, though most often they have an assigned class and work with the class teacher to support the children who need extra support.

In your application you particularly need to mention ability to communicate with both adultsd and children, use of initiative, excleenet relationships with children etc. If you're applying to your child's school they'll also want to be reassured that you'll be confidential and not gossip about what you know in the playground.
HTH

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 18-Sep-07 18:40:58

thanks yetihed - will bear that info in mind too

sinclair Tue 18-Sep-07 20:20:26

My DD has an LSA as she has a statement that gives her support for 80% of the school day. In our case, the LSAs that have worked out for all are flexible, good communicators - often you are supporting children who can't communicate well so you are an important link/source of info for parents - accepting rather than judging IYSWIM and committed as in keen to learn more about whatever difficulties the child faces. They haven't necessarily been special needs trained, and sometimes I htink coming to it all 'blank canvas' as it were is better than coming in with pre-conceived ideas which might not work with that particular child. Goes without saying that patience and sense of humour useful as with all jobs working with children!

These roles are often sought after as tho pay not great, children with SEn often make huge strides with 1-2-1 support so it can be very rewarding.

Very good luck with your application - keep us posted.

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 19-Sep-07 10:17:21

thank you too sinclair - that's encouraging - went to ask for the application this morning and they haven't yet printed it out !!

LilyLoo Wed 19-Sep-07 10:20:13

i started off as an lsa and work as a mentor in a school now. Any experience you can note to do with working with children always helpful. If it's your sons school the confidentiality question will def come up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now