Advanced search

Ok healthy packed lunches for a four year old

(6 Posts)
mummytojess Mon 10-Sep-07 17:36:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mummytojess Mon 10-Sep-07 17:40:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

annh Mon 10-Sep-07 17:43:50

That sounds like plenty, I tend to put in several little things, like a mini scotch egg and a small box of raisins so that they can have extra if they wish but otherwise the extras come home and can be used the next day.

portonovo Mon 10-Sep-07 17:47:47

Only you know how much she eats. If that is about what she would eat at home, that's fine. Some children eat a bit less at school, others eat just the same.

Just make sure you vary the sandwich and fruit as much as you can. Perhaps pop in a handful of cherry tomatoes and some dried fruit.

For what it's worth, I've always given my children four components to their lunch, but I've varied the quantities as they've got older. They have a savoury bit (sandwich, savoury scone, home-made pizza, crackers and cheese, pasta salad, breadsticks & dip); some fresh fruit, either a whole piece or chopped up fruit-salad style; a 'treat', usually fairly small bit of home-made flapcake, muffin or whatever; and the fourth is often yoghurt, sometimes dried fruit/nuts (except at our primary school where the rule is no nuts), or once a week at most it is crisps, not a whole packet.

You can always try adding a bit more, or increasing the amount of one of the things you're already putting in, and see if that gets eaten.

fuzzywuzzy Mon 10-Sep-07 17:53:24

So far I have done;

Tuna and sweetcorn roll
Fresh strawberries
cheese string
apple slices (didn't go down too well as they went brown Should have figured they would)
Juice
Fairy cakes
Tuna and Sweetcorn pasta
Chicken roll
Tangerine slices
Crisps (mother insisted all children apparantly need crisps in their lunch box)
carrot sticks

I'm almost packed lunched out and I've only done three so far.....blimey

Btw all the above were in various combinations over three days for dd 4.6

fuzzywuzzy Mon 10-Sep-07 17:55:07

she doens't actually get too hungry as they have fruit and milk for morning break andl unch happens about two hours larer, nevertheless I'm terrified she's going to starve she tends to finish her lunch when she gets home....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now