Advise on moving schools

(5 Posts)
zen9081 Tue 03-Mar-20 15:00:36

Dear all,
I'm looking for inputs on formalities to do and expect when moving schools for a child from Reception to Year 1.
We may move countries or may move cities within the UK - haven't decided yet. In either case, are schools in the UK legally obliged to give a School Leaver's Certificate or any similar record of year spent to the school my kids would be joining in Sep - here in the Uk or abroad?
Any inputs would greatly help.
Many thanks.

OP’s posts: |
PathOfLeastResitance Tue 03-Mar-20 17:33:45

You can politely ask the school to write a letter to confirm that your child attended with the dates on. They will not be legally obliged. If your child is with them for a full academic year you would probably receive a written report on their academic progress. You can choose to share this with a new school if you wish.

spanieleyes Tue 03-Mar-20 17:44:03

EYFS is a reportable assessment year so the current school will pass on end of year assessments to another school in this country

suitcaseofdreams Wed 04-Mar-20 12:39:39

In the U.K. assuming it’s state school then current school would send child’s records to new school (you fill in school transfer paperwork when you move which triggers this process)

If you are going abroad then I’m not sure there is any obligation for school to provide anything but I’m sure they would if you asked :-)

mastertomsmum Wed 04-Mar-20 12:45:02

Most state schools would do what's known as a 'handover' - I think there is a procedure for this. There certainly was a procedure that ought to have been followed when my child left an independent school in Yr4 and transferred to a state school in Yr5. The independent school gave me a bag of books and I passed on the books and school reports but then the state school asked me if I could contact the independent school as they hadn't had the 'handover' information. Whatever that constituted they never properly provided it. But then we left partly because they were a bit hopeless.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in