How far in advance should I apply for school change?

(6 Posts)
WhatIsNapTime Tue 25-Feb-20 14:02:27

Hi, I’m in the process of buying a house and will be moving about 4 hours away from current location, so my 2 primary aged children will need to move schools. I want to finish the term here and move over the summer holidays so they’ll be ready to start the new school when the September term starts. They’ve been at the same school since nursery so I have no idea where to start and would appreciate any advice. I’ve found the council website which I need to apply through but do I do that now? Or do I need to wait nearer the time? Also do I tell their current school they’re going to be moving now or closer to the time?

Thanks if you’ve managed to read my endless questions but As you can probably tell I have no idea how this works!

OP’s posts: |
Aroundtheworldin80moves Tue 25-Feb-20 14:06:45

If you look at the website, there might be a date- when I moved last year, each area we were potentially moving to had a different date the applications opened- this varied from Easter to June.
Also you can't apply to you have a fixed address (unless you are military/crown servant).

Foxyloxy1plus1 Tue 25-Feb-20 17:45:09

You have to wait until you have a permanent address in your new location and then apply.

Hoppinggreen Tue 25-Feb-20 17:50:07

I think you can apply from any address but if there’s awaiting list you will probably be at the bottom
Once the move is confirmed and you have the address then apply, if your location isn’t absolutely fixed then phone the local LEA with the details of a few schools you like the look of and check for spaces in the relevant year groups. If there isn’t space you can go on a wait list and the closer you live to the school the better your chances, but remember other people can leapfrog you so if you get to no1 on the list you could drop to no2 or 3 etc.
Ideally move near a school with spaces

WhatIsNapTime Tue 25-Feb-20 17:50:56

Thanks everyone. I’ll wait until surveys and things have been done then before I apply. My offer got accepted and I think I’ve got a bit overexcited as a first time buyer , I need to reign it in

OP’s posts: |
admission Tue 25-Feb-20 18:01:39

Most LAs will only accept a change of address when you have physically moved to the new house. You might be lucky and find on checking with the LA that they will accept when you have exchanged contracts. However in both cases it is either going to be in the summer holiday period or very close to it. When you apply the probability will be that the school is full and you can only go on the waiting lists. Even if the school is not full the LA may not be able to offer a place because the schools will be shut and they cannot confirm there are places available.
The best option is for you to move about three weeks before the summer holiday period which would then mean that your application will at least be considered before the summer break. It is still highly likely that there will be no places and that you will only be on the waiting list.
There is also the issue that if you have a child in an infant year - upto and including year 2, then the infant class size regulations may well come into play, which will limit your possibility of getting places even further.
If you are looking for children to start in September then you need to move and be able to apply by mid-June. That will give sufficient time to apply and then go to appeal for places before the beginning of the July shutdown for the summer break.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in