Talk

Advanced search

Europa School in Culham - Opinions

(3 Posts)
Chemlover Mon 17-Feb-20 13:51:29

Hi All,
I would like your opinions about the Europa School in Culham. I know a couple of people who have children there and they are very happy about the school.
But I would like more opinions, please. I quite like the idea of educating a child in a bilingual way.
I am undecided between the Europa School and an Independent school.
Thanks in advance for your answers.

OP’s posts: |
pfrench Mon 17-Feb-20 18:52:56

I know a few teachers who work there. Are you a bilingual family? If so, then it seems like a reasonable idea. School is as good/bad as any state schools locally, it's not as 'good' as an independent if 'good' means small classes.

If you are not a bilingual family, then the feeling of the teachers I know (it might be just them, and not representative of all the staff), is that you are making school life tricky for your child. There are children who are SEN registered in one language, but not the other, for example, which might have self esteem and social impacts.

You'd also need to decide which language you want your child to be educated in at the school, and that can impact the experience your child has of education in general. Ie, the French side of things is very French, which is quite different to the German side of things. If you don't speak another language at home, then how will you make sure your child has opportunities to use it half of the time?

One of the friends who works there has sent her child there too, which is usually a good sign, but they are a bilingual family. They also moved nearby to ensure that friendships were easy to cultivate. The last few years have been fine with regard to the application process in terms of where you live - ie, even people living away from the admissions 'points' got in, but that's not always the case, so could be a bit of a gamble.

Chemlover Mon 17-Feb-20 20:25:41

Thank you!
By "good" I mean that pupils learn. I taught Science in some secondary state schools in England and I was shocked by how little most of the students knew from Primary School.
I'm Italian, but I speak and understand French well. The only problem would be to support the child with either Spanish or German, even if I think I could easily learn Spanish. We're a bilingual family. I would make the effort to speak to my children in French, for example, or learn one of the second languages to help them.
Thanks a lot.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in