Talk

Advanced search

Daiglen School Buckhurst Hill

(15 Posts)
Birch30 Sat 10-Oct-20 13:31:55

Thank you all so much for your replies.
It sounds like Daiglen school has pulled its socks up since the criticism and isi issues based on this feed.
However in all honesty would Woodford Prep be a better choice if a place were to be offered to us?
Is Woodford Prep a better school in terms of accessibility to the head teacher and prep for 11plus and entrance exams?
Many thanks

Bubbleblossom Wed 16-Sep-20 10:48:48

Yes they have an onsite chef he is great!
See my reply.

Nubbin Wed 16-Sep-20 10:42:22

Sorry - just seen v old thread so comments were last academic year.

Nubbin Wed 16-Sep-20 10:37:02

My dd is at Braeside in y6 worth looking at - it is a lovely school and academic standards v good. They have invested a lot in moving to one site and will be coed from next year. I'm surprised anyone in y6 has offers from Bancroft/Chigwell already as admissions haven't started for Sept 2021 yet.

Bubbleblossom Wed 16-Sep-20 10:32:21

These posts make me so sad, Daiglen is a lovely nurturing school with lovely staff who go above and beyond what is expected. They have many happy parents. I have children in both early years and juniors who are flourishing. Yes they got a new headmistress who brought about some change but maybe others shouldn't be too eager to judge and express failings. Once one starts it seems lots follow. Some of the changes have been excellent! for one the new music teacher is fabulous. When your 5 year old comes home singing the Beatles and telling you all about musical genres you know. Sports have been extended and there is now a girls football team. Junior class sizes are small as kids leave at 7+ .
Academic teaching in upper years is very good and we have lots of prep lessons for 11+ and school entry. If you think that parents at other local schools aforementioned don't tutor their kids for entrance exams then you are a bit naive. Of course the schools won't tell you and quite often the parents won't admit it, these are competative exams! They are competing against your child. Look at the Daiglen website to see what offers they got last year grin.
Early years is nuturing and having gone through it I have nothing but praise for the staff. I completely agree that all the kids across the school know each other and the older kids have a lovely caring familial nurturing way about them especially towards the younger kids.
To answer the question above Daiglen has an on site chef/ catering team and everything is freshly prepared. My kids love the meals.
I think the head has 'woken up' and Daiglen is a school to watch. I wouldn't hesitate to send my child there.

Birch30 Sat 12-Sep-20 16:20:10

Now that the schools open again, we’re planning on sending our girl there next year, have things improved for current parents, has the head teacher been responsive to this negative feedback... ps do they now have external catering with no on site chef,.. really disappointing if true...thank you

Dulciesbigsister Thu 09-Jul-20 11:25:58

To anyone still thinking of Daiglen after reading this: think again.
It used to be an excellent prep school but due to the current headmistress’ apparent inability to understand the role of a prep school, most of the preparation for entrance exams has to be done by the parents and private tutors. Any instances of bullying simply are not adequately dealt with or ignored. There are also very few extras offered, snacks aren’t available until 4:30 after the first lot of after school activities are over which means the children won’t have eaten in some cases, since 11:30. The clubs on offer are limited. The headmistress is tone deaf and inaccessible. Some of the teachers in the later years are good but unfortunately good leadership comes from above and that simply isn’t the case.
A good primary state school would be just as effective as Daiglen.

Alma27 Sat 23-May-20 21:21:16

Indeed, I have spoken with more parents and we have decided to pull out of Daiglen unfortunately, despite paying the initial fee..

OP’s posts: |
rebeccaacceber Thu 21-May-20 13:18:51

Hello,

We were also looking at Daiglen as we are hoping to move to the area soon. I am quite concerned about the feedback now.

R x

HidingInACupboard Wed 20-May-20 16:03:54

I’ve had my kids at Daiglen and they’ve all thrived. The class sizes are around 20 in the early years and the teachers are so sensitive and caring. They get them reading from an early age but without the aggressive push you get in some schools. The kids across the school all know each other and the older kids have a lovely caring familial nurturing way about them especially towards the younger kids. Your daughter will flourish there. The early years team is fantastic. The school also gets some great results in the older years - I’m not there yet but looking forward to it. Go to the next open day and see how you feel - do that with every school you are considering. You won’t be disappointed with daiglen.

Blinks20 Sun 23-Feb-20 21:22:08

Definetly avoid. Look at Oaklands school in Loughton - by DS he been there since age 4 and due to leave end of year 6 in July. Currently has offers for bancrofts/ Chigwell - he’s really flourished at this school.

Layla82 Sun 23-Feb-20 21:16:13

I would avoid this school and agree with the previous person. Apparently there are only 9/10 children in each class as most have left to go to Woodford Prep or Loyola. My friend had a daughter there but left to go to Braeside. Shame as it used to be a good school back in the day.

Alma27 Sun 23-Feb-20 12:09:10

Oh wow, thank you for this. Indeed, I have seen the ISI reports and it was a bit of a worry but I didnt have the insight into what triggered it...ahh such a shame...
Thank you very much for your feedback

Lotusleaf3 Sun 23-Feb-20 11:12:32

This school has gone really downhill ever since the new head was appointed in 2016. It’s definitely small (due to a large number of kids leaving to better schools) and not welcoming or nurturing as it used to be. They used to have exceptional teachers, majority of whom have been replaced with teachers who actually are inexperienced when it comes to the 11+ preparation for secondary schools. They actually had an unannounced emergency ISI inspection last year due to a large number of parents complaining about the substandard teaching and issues regarding safeguarding. The school didn’t meet the requirements and they had another ISI recently which I believe met the requirements. I would avoid this school at all costs and choose St Aubyns, Woodford Prep or Avon House.

Alma27 Fri 07-Feb-20 22:16:13

Hi,
I am considering sending my daughter to Daiglen School in Buckhurst Hill and I'm looking for feedback as to what the school is like. I'm hoping it will be a small, cosy, nurturing environment, not too pushy. My daughter is quite shy so I'm hoping the small class will allow teachers more 121 time so she can grow in confidence etc.
Is this a realistic expectation, does anyone have any feedback with regards to this school please?
Thank you!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in