CLSG v Alleyn’s/JAGS at 7+

(14 Posts)
Blueskiesdazzleme Sun 02-Feb-20 09:02:55

DD is in the wonderful position of having offers from all three schools at 7+. We are relatively close to Alleyn’s/JAGS and have/have had other DC at both schools so know them fairly well. DD loves City though but it is a 45 minute door to door commute from SW London. Being 6 she can’t appreciate how it will feel doing that every day but we have done two ‘dry runs’ already. DH works fairly close to CLSG but I am about 5 tube stops away and would be the one taking her. In addition I can wfh a fair amount every week but DD would obviously still need to commute in. I am not sure I would want her doing that journey every day even at 11. However the school seems amazing - I would appreciate any advice from current CLSG prep parents - is the school worth the commute?

OP’s posts: |
Blueskiesdazzleme Sun 02-Feb-20 11:53:48

Bump - anyone?

Tigermom79 Sun 02-Feb-20 14:05:10

I'm not a current CLSG parent but attempting to choose between that and a couple of other options at 7+. There are CLSG parents who have responded to other similar threads here. You can try messaging Foxpants who has very kindly responded to a couple of my posts.

I also wondered why there aren't any (parent organised) coach services from South London to CLSG when there are from NW London. Perhaps an option to consider if there are sufficient children interested, although I realise you can't test demand before your decision.

All the best.

Blueskiesdazzleme Sun 02-Feb-20 15:48:53

Thanks - will message Foxpants. I also wondered why no coach service when there seem to be a number of girls coming in from S London especially in senior school. I have seen a number of posts about CLSG v Highgate, SHHS, NLSC

Blueskiesdazzleme Sun 02-Feb-20 15:49:49

Sorry posted too early - meant to say NLCS but not so much about how it weighs up against other South London options.

Tigermom79 Sun 02-Feb-20 16:54:43

If you go by academic league tables you could look at the London pre-prep site which has rankings for gcse and a levels. Also consult the good schools guide which has, what I am told, a fairly accurate opinion of most London schools.

ForeverbyJudyBlume Sun 02-Feb-20 17:23:59

I think this is a complete no-brainer, if the other schools are nearWe go for one of them. Your dd may love CLSG but she is six and - as you say - she has no concept of the reality of a horrible commute. You’re not choosing between a brilliant school and a sink school you’re choosing between a brilliant school and two other brilliant schools, so go for one of the latter and use your preferences for single sex vs co-Ed to make that decision

Advertisement

Blueskiesdazzleme Sun 02-Feb-20 17:33:07

Thank you for the input - yes I have checked the league tables and City is slightly above Jags which is in turn slightly above Alleyns most years. DH thinks this is not really an issue at this level and we should go with our gut feeling. I am inclined to agree with him but I just want to be sure we are making the right choice for her!

Blueskiesdazzleme Sun 02-Feb-20 17:38:03

I also wonder how much of the better results are down to tutoring - from what we know of Alleyn’s and my other DD’s year tutoring really doesn’t seem prevalent there whereas I feel as if it may be at CLSG due to the type of parent it attracts?

ForeverbyJudyBlume Sun 02-Feb-20 20:05:10

Your DH is right, you are talking about “slightly“ here. You should definitely go with your gut on this one

Somewherebeyondthe Sun 02-Feb-20 21:12:51

Our DD got into jags and alleyns at 4+. In the end it wasn't a close decision - she'll start at alleyns in September.

LondonGirl83 Sun 02-Feb-20 21:13:17

IMO, the difference with Alleyns will be down to:

1. The ability range being wider than at CLSG. Alleyns accepts kids at 4 and they have automatic entry into the senior school. There is a running joke that the bottom cohort is home grown from that 4+ intake as its such a lottery at 4 to predict ability. Alleyns also has an official siblings policy which also widens the intake ability. The head has addressed this saying the governors looked at what the impact of changing automatic entry would have in their league tables standing and the governors decided against it as they felt they'd made a commitment to the children at entry and they didn't want to play the league table game.

2. CLSG don't allow you to move into the 6th form to take A-levels unless your grades are good enough. Its an official policy with the clear grade cut-offs you can ring the school and ask about it.

3. CLSG is all girls and girls out perform boys at school. Its a fairly universal fact in state and private school and in the UK and other countries.

Personally, I think the top set at Alleyns will get similar results there as in any other top performing school. I also think the fact that JAGs manages out its weaker students is why it outperforms Alleyns in league tables most years in addition to the fact its all girls.

Blueskiesdazzleme Mon 03-Feb-20 08:18:17

Thank you so much all - this is really helpful. I was looking at the Oxbridge offers and university destinations, an area in which CLSG is stellar, but what @LondonGirl83 says serves to clarify why this may be. Seems a long way off now but having a DD who is already at university I know it comes round quickly. I want to get this decision right as I don’t want to have to do the 11+ process in a few years. Was leaning towards City and now thinking Alleyn’s again. Going to revisit Alleyn’s and JAGS this week.

LondonGirl83 Mon 03-Feb-20 09:31:04

Academically I don’t think there is anything to choose from really between any of these schools. For me the choice would be down to which school’s ethos were best matched to my family’s / best suited my daughter, weighed up against convenience and the preference between coed vs single sex.

It’s a nice choice to have as they are all great schools!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in