My daughter playing Donkey for school play

(199 Posts)
sperit Wed 04-Dec-19 10:34:58

Dear all,

I needed your advise.

I am extremely upset with the my daughter school teacher that has assigned my daughter to play the donkey on the Christmas school.

She was previously attending a different school where she was being bullied so I looked for a private school.

My daughter is a girl of colour and on the previous school she was being called ugly and that her hair was not beautiful. So I enrolled to a private school. I did this as I had the same issue when I was growing and my father looked for a suitable private where I was extremely happy.

When I enrolled My Ella to the private school I mentioned the issues.

So I found out 2 days ago that my daughter has been assigned to play the donkey and wearing a dark brown suit. I feel upset to the that they could not assigned Ella with a different role.
So I had a discussion with her teacher and I told her how disappointed I am and whether she could find a different way for Ella to contribute on the play such as being on the choir. Her response was no as at this stage she cannot find nothing else and I know it looks but is not what I am thinking and the that is going to be a funny show.

What do you guys think should I still allow my daughter to play the donkey????

OP’s posts: |
areyouafraidofthedark Wed 04-Dec-19 10:37:07

I would let her play the donkey part if she wants too. Has your daughter mentioned anything about not wanting to play the part?

Greenbutterlfy566 Wed 04-Dec-19 10:38:29

Don’t let her do it.

Selfsettling3 Wed 04-Dec-19 10:40:15

Is your daughter unhappy with the donkey? I think you are reading too much info this. No every child can be the character they want. My DD is upset that she is not Mary but there can only be one Mary and that’s life.

TheQueef Wed 04-Dec-19 10:43:49

Donkey is one of the main roles, even has his own song.
I wouldn't let the colour of the costume stop her.

Houseofflu Wed 04-Dec-19 10:44:11

Who's unhappy, you or your dd?
My dd plays a hen this year, also has a brown costume. I think she's a very adorable hen.

Quartz2208 Wed 04-Dec-19 10:44:34

Do you think she is the donkey merely because of the colour of her skin or because it’s a play where the donkey has a big role and she is good at it

What I am asking is how sure are you this is a race issue

Advertisement

PurpleDaisies Wed 04-Dec-19 10:44:59

confused

Is this her issue or yours?

Morganmermaid Wed 04-Dec-19 10:45:34

How does you daughter feel?

I think it takes a particularly confident child to take a role like that. I would be cautious casting a new or less confident child in that role.

Raphael34 Wed 04-Dec-19 10:46:44

Are you seriously looking for racism in this? Or just disappointed she didn’t get a different part? The donkey is an important part of the play. This year my dd is a tree 🙄

poseysbobblehat Wed 04-Dec-19 10:47:31

biscuit 0/10. Nice try.

FloraGreysteel Wed 04-Dec-19 10:48:49

Donkeys are lovely and she'll look so cute with long ears. I don't know what the fuss is about.

LIZS Wed 04-Dec-19 10:48:59

You might want to ask mnhq to edit your dd's name out. Sorry but think you are projecting your feelings and actually it would be better to allow your dd to go along and play her part. State vs private is completely irrelevant, you don't get to dictate just because you pay.

FrancisCrawford Wed 04-Dec-19 10:49:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

boredboredboredboredbored Wed 04-Dec-19 10:49:22

Christ fhmmfconfused

PurpleDaisies Wed 04-Dec-19 10:49:59

He’s in the manger bored.

christmassymcchristmas Wed 04-Dec-19 10:51:05

The donkey is a great role. I'd say it's the best really. Last year my kids were ds1 Joseph and ds2 wonky donkey. Never crossed my mind that it could be derogatory.

I think you need to stop putting your issues on your DD

PsychosonicCindy Wed 04-Dec-19 10:51:40

I'm not sure this is real...
Anyway this might be like lighting a fuse but.....MY DD IS MARY THIS YEAR air punch grin

FrancisCrawford Wed 04-Dec-19 10:51:50

Aroundtheworldin80moves Wed 04-Dec-19 10:52:04

The donkeys are lovely comic characters in my DDs plays (all three of them).

My eldest DD was a camel and a sheep in her plays.

FrancisCrawford Wed 04-Dec-19 10:52:29

Gazelda Wed 04-Dec-19 10:53:13

My DD was the donkey in her school nativity. She was the cutest donkey I've ever seen. It's one of my favourite Reception memories.
Don't make this into something it's not. Let her take part and enjoy the performance.

christmassymcchristmas Wed 04-Dec-19 10:53:57

Francis hopefully OP hasn't let her daughter know that she's upset. Nowhere does it say her daughter was disappointed. I'd imagine she was excited actually to have a proper role!

Psycho yessss, smashed it!

SaltedPeanut Wed 04-Dec-19 10:54:00

I don't understand what your issue is? I have 3 mixed race children. I wouldn't be upset if one of them played the role of donkey. Why would I be? One of them was a mince pie once (!)..... Other than that they have made up the choir.....all good.

christmassymcchristmas Wed 04-Dec-19 10:54:58

A mince pie grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in