Talk

Advanced search

Ds4 made to write why he didnt want to join in

(12 Posts)
Mumofcrazy2 Wed 06-Nov-19 17:18:22

With dancing.
Is this normal? I only have his word on what happened but it comes across as a punishment. I'm not going to go in all guns blazing but hes 4! Seems a fast way to put him off writing aswell as dancing!

OP’s posts: |
GeePipe Wed 06-Nov-19 17:34:16

Sounds quiet normal to me op i used to work in primary schools as a TA. If he wouldnt join in dancing then usually he would be encouraged to do something else such as maybe write about dancing or write why he didnt want to if he disnt want to say out loud. I doubt it was used as a punishment for him and at 4 i suspect a little bit of exageration or misinterpretation of what happened.

fartingrainbows Wed 06-Nov-19 17:51:56

🤷🏽‍♀️ he didn't want to dance so they gave him something else to do, sounds fair enough to me op. If they gave him a really fun alternative then they might have half the class sitting out by next week. Assuming he's in a Reception class and NT he's going to have to start learning that in school you get on with the activity and you can't pick and choose when you're one of 30. It's a steep learning curve for some but he'll get there.

LittleBearPad Wed 06-Nov-19 17:55:10

You’re framing it as a punishment. Think of it as something for him to do instead.

Mumofcrazy2 Wed 06-Nov-19 19:09:33

Hes showed me how he wrote 'because' (becus) and he sounded very chuffed with himself so I think he did actually find the writing fun grin
thank you for the replys smile

MidniteScribbler Thu 07-Nov-19 00:34:51

It's going to be a long road for you if you let him sit out anything he doesn't fancy doing. I've got one of those in my class at the moment, and he's a right pain in the arse, and mummy says that he shouldn't be forced to do anything he doesn't want (which includes reading and maths). He's also reading at the level of a five year old (he's ten).

Mumofcrazy2 Thu 07-Nov-19 09:13:53

I'm not letting him sit out on anything. Hes 4, im sure theres other ways of encouraging him to join in.

Passthecherrycoke Thu 07-Nov-19 09:15:23

Er? How can he write that at 4?

I didn’t dance because I don’t like it/ my legs hurt/ I forgot my shoes?

4 year olds are being taught how to write their names, not excuse notes. I don’t get it at all

Mumofcrazy2 Thu 07-Nov-19 14:15:44

The dancing was with a TA that does trickier work with him because hes a bit more advanced.
Trouble is he thinks hes beyond dancing to nursery rhymes, even though he probably would enjoy it

pigeononthegate Thu 07-Nov-19 14:22:59

I had a 4yo who could write. He could have written an essay about why he didn't want to do something at that age, he passed Y6 SATS papers in Y1 but he also ate handfuls of mud, had horrific meltdowns and once spent two hours hiding in a bin in the playground hooting to himself because he didn't want to do the activity that day. He has ASD and the dissonance between his aademic giftedness and his social/emotional impairment was really difficult to handle at primary age (he's 17 now)

If your DS is markedly different from his peers in ability AND he regularly refuses more social activities or is struggling with peer relationships, I would think about requesting an assessment for him sooner rather than later.

Mumofcrazy2 Thu 07-Nov-19 15:07:24

Thank you pigeononthegate. I have questioned this in the past but he has outgrown the meltdowns and socially he is absolutely fine. Just stubborn!

fartingrainbows Thu 07-Nov-19 19:08:45

Hes showed me how he wrote 'because' (becus) and he sounded very chuffed with himself so I think he did actually find the writing fun

So then your later statements kind of made this thread redundant did they not?
He was supposed to dance, he didn't want to dance, they found a task that he enjoyed but it wouldn't make the rest of the class want to sit out next week.
Well done teachers..... can't really see what your complaint is confused

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in