Talk

Advanced search

Reading advice

(6 Posts)
Arkarian Sat 21-Sep-19 07:54:24

My son has just started reception. He's always loved to read. He's been put on a set called dandelion launchers 11d so I think he's in track for his age. My problem
Is he hates the books. He finds them terribly boring. Has anybody got an tips for making them interesting? I'm worried it's going to kill his passion for reading entirely.

OP’s posts: |
ilovesushi Sat 21-Sep-19 08:11:45

Don't get too hung up on school reading schemes. They are generally quite dull. Keep going with the books he loves. If you think the level is wrong, then chat to his teacher.

EducatingArti Sat 21-Sep-19 08:21:33

Dandelion readers are a phonic scheme and so designed to only use the phonics that a child has learned to date ( no "tricky" words). In my opinion it is good that the school are using an entirely phonic scheme as it supports best practice in teaching reading, however the limits to the words that can be used may mean that they are boring compared to other books in the early stages.
I would suggest keeping the school reading short and sweet eg just a few pages, but do it every day. Then follow it up with a fun book that you can read to him and he will enjoy. So you can say, " let's just get these 3 pages done and then we can enjoy 'book x' together". Another way would be outright bribery with a smartie/chocolate button/haribo/dolly mixture for each page read.
The books should get more interesting as he progresses in his phonic learning.

1066vegan Sat 21-Sep-19 08:27:42

Dandelion books are very boring but they're also very good for enabling children to use their new phonic knowledge and skills. It can give a real sense of achievement for a child to be able to read a book themselves.

Dandelion books are pretty short so shouldn't take long to read. I'd get your ds to read his school book every day but immediately follow that up with some reading for pleasure. Get your ds choose a favourite book from home or the library and read to him.

FusionChefGeoff Sat 21-Sep-19 08:31:01

Agree with little and often - we worked it into the morning routine so 10 minutes together on the sofa became as normal as brushing your teeth and such a compete non-negotiable that after a couple of weeks there wasn't a murmur of 'I don't want to' just a resigned trudge to the book bag!!!

Eventually, the stories get better - and the more he reads, the quicker that will happen.

Arkarian Sat 21-Sep-19 09:02:03

Ilovesushi don't worry I'm not hung up on the level smile reading is supposed to be fun in my opinion. I don't think his level is wrong as he's able to fluently read it and answer comprehension questions about it. It's only that I don't want his passion for reading to vanish. Thank you for your advice smile I'll try some of the suggestions and read a book for fun straight after as an incentive.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in