Talk

Advanced search

Guildford - Nursery and Primary

(7 Posts)
Deefle Sun 01-Sep-19 20:22:12

Hello

We are looking at buying a house in Guildford. We really like the area south of Guildford town/station. So sandwiched between Loseley Park on the left, River Wey in middle, Pewley Down on the right and below.

What we really need to know is what nursery schools and primary schools are best in this area? I guess state, grammar, private?

I have right now Pewley Down, Guildford High School, Tormeasd

OP’s posts: |
Deefle Sun 01-Sep-19 20:35:21

Other schools that look good are below. Can anyone give me comments/thoughts on these schools? I can look up Ofsted ratings, so I am more interested in catchment to get in for the state schools and criteria to get in for the grammar, religious or private schools. Also anything else you think will be useful in us making a decision. For example, are any of these schools feeder schools for some of the best (and I appreciate 'best' is a subjective view!) secondary in the area? I'd really appreciate your thoughts!

St. Thomas of Canterbury
Merrow Infants
Queen Eleanor's Junior School
Sandfield Primary School
Holy Trinity School Pewley Down School

JoJoSM2 Mon 02-Sep-19 08:56:20

www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/compare-schools?for=primary

This is where you can find a lot about the schools you're after.

There are no grammars in the county of Surrey. So it's all comps or independents.

Ionacat Mon 02-Sep-19 22:03:32

The two best state secondaries are Guildford County and George Abbot. (Also St. Peters’s if you are catholic.) Surrey admissions have all the data on their website about furthest child admitted and previous year’s admission data. I don’t think either school has named feeder schools in their admission policy.

GU24Mum Wed 04-Sep-19 21:49:38

There are some feeder primary schools but more in the villages I think. Otherwise it goes on the "normal" criteria which vary between schools but invariably a mix of distance and siblings. The catholic schools are different and do have feeders.

I'd look at secondaries and work back from there when you're house-hunting as most of the areas will have a reasonable or better primary school nearby but some areas are black holes for secondaries!

suitcaseofdreams Thu 05-Sep-19 18:25:08

No grammar schools so your choice is state or private. State schools in the area are generally good so it’s a personal/financial decision whether to go private.
Guildford High has a reputation for being very academic but I have no personal experience as mine are at state schools (and boys!). I know people with daughters at Tormead and also St Catherine’s in Bramley and they are very happy with both. With private I think it’s really about finding the right ‘fit’ for the individual child.
If choosing state I’d agree start with secondary and work backwards. Unless you are Catholic you will want to aim for George Abbot or County. Look at their last distance place offers for the past few years and work out ideal location to live from that. They don’t have feeder primaries - it’s distance from school which counts. All the primaries you list above are good so any of them would be fine - again depends on where you live which one you’ll get as places based on nearest school to home (unless Catholic)

Deefle Fri 13-Sep-19 10:37:54

Thank you for all this information. It's really helpful to think about this in the context of secondary schools. I had not looked at it that way as it's so far off for us and was concentrating on primaries. I do like the look of Guildford County. If we bought in the areas I've listed above, it looks like it would be the closest school (based on Surrey Admission's website). But given it's oversubscribed, do you think it would be an issue still to get in or would we likely get in if we buy in these areas? I particularly like the area under Guildford town, sandwiched between Pewley Down and the River Wey. Here I think Pewley Down Primary also looks excellent, as does Merrow and Shalford Primary. Great to get your thoughts!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in