Talk

Advanced search

iPad apps for the holidays

(8 Posts)
Letmedowneasy Mon 15-Jul-19 09:14:21

I'm looking for some good, fun apps for the iPad that will hopefully capture my 8 year olds attention.
He's not great at doing much learning at home but I'd really like keep him engaged a bit during the holidays and before he starts back to school in year 4.
Any suggestions please!

OP’s posts: |
HappydaysArehere Mon 15-Jul-19 09:18:49

Instead of an app what about a scrap/diary book where he can put drawings, accounts of things he found out, tickets, daily diary etc.

Two2tango Mon 15-Jul-19 11:57:49

I recommend DoodleMaths and DoodleEnglish. The app adjusts itself to the child's ability and there are only 5-7 questions to be answered every day so only takes a few minutes.

There are educational games on the app in case they want to do more.

Letmedowneasy Mon 15-Jul-19 20:22:30

I'll take a look at that, thanks.

OP’s posts: |
PantsyMcPantsface Tue 16-Jul-19 09:26:05

Can't remember the names of the exact apps and the iPad's in school at the moment so can't check (my child takes it in to work on for various reasons) but mine spent blooming hours last holidays on an e-book creator app and a comic book creator one where they could set up the photos and then create captions for it. Got them writing loads without it being any kind of fuss or battle.

Loads of them around on the app store.

HopeClearwater Wed 17-Jul-19 20:16:50

Times Table Rock Stars!

OhNoIDontLikeIt Wed 17-Jul-19 20:54:05

For maths, I recommend [[ play.prodigygame.com/ prodigy ]].
It's more of the game rather than learning website.
For literacy, I recommend Poptropica,
It's not a literacy sire, but you need to read text and think. Also recommend holiday diary and summer reading challenge at local library.

winterisstillcoming Wed 17-Jul-19 21:20:02

Holidays are great fodder for extending language and vocabulary. Maybe buy a book that is set in that country or look for activity books for that country. We got some great New York ones when we went last year.

Educational apps while you are waiting at gate: hit the button, word cookies, word search ones are good. Bear in mind you may need an internet connection for some of them.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in