Talk

Advanced search

Looking for alternative/Montessori schools in south west London/Surrey

(8 Posts)
Qwertyguerty Wed 10-Jul-19 15:39:43

Hey,

My daughter is 20 months old and we’re lookign to buy our first home. My husband and I would like her to go to a smaller alternative school, either Montessori or similar teaching style, and because we’re willing to move to a new area (within south west-ish London) for the right school we’ve started looking now to give us enough time to find the right school, save up and buy a house smile

Ive read all about the Acorn school in Morden and even though I do like it I’d love to find out about similar schools, can anyone help me with some more or maybe a way to search for them?

Or maybe if your children go there, could you let me know how they are enjoying it?

I’ve tried many word combinations in google but I get a lot of special needs schools, or expensive boarding schools!

Also, I wasn’t sure if this was the right place to post, or if it’d be better to post under a local thread? Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
Qwertyguerty Fri 12-Jul-19 06:48:20

Anyone? Would love to hear feedback smile

JoJoSM2 Fri 12-Jul-19 09:27:26

I've never heard of Acorn so I've just had a look on their website. Other than the lack of uniform and lack of own facilities, how would it be different from a small nurturing prep?

What are the things that you're looking for specifically?

Qwertyguerty Fri 12-Jul-19 09:57:24

Thank you for checking it out smile I guess a less conventional setting, smaller classes, a more open ended/minded curriculum, a less conventional approach to teaching too

I do like the lack of uniform and the fact it's set in a park as well as their ethos. I haven't been able to find similar smaller schools nearby so was wondering if any other parents may be able to point out an online resource for such schools in south west London

JoJoSM2 Fri 12-Jul-19 10:15:40

We live in Sutton and DS is 1 (and I’m an experienced teacher). We’ve been looking for options in our area. For pre-school (from 1.5-2yrs of age) there’s the Forest School in Cheam (lovely park + woodland trust area adjacent).
In terms of schools, Collingwood School in Wallington would offer a lot of what you’re after. It’s a prep that’s been around for 90 years. It’s set in a large house with a big garden and prides itself on being nurturing with very small classes (about 10 children/class). They do things like yoga and mindfulness, weekly woodland adventures etc. They foster different age groups integrating, eg older children go and help in the pre-school once a week etc. When we went on a tour, it seemed everybody knew absolutely everybody there 😁

In terms of no uniforms and different approach to teaching, I really like the International Programme. There are a few schools in London and Surrey but the downside is that they tend to appeal to the transient expat crowd so there’s a high turnover of pupils.

Qwertyguerty Fri 12-Jul-19 10:31:33

Hi Joni
Thank you for your reply, lots for me to go onto! They all sound like what I'm looking for

Could I ask how you knew about these, is it thru your job or from other parents?

Qwertyguerty Fri 12-Jul-19 10:37:06

Ah! My autocorrect changed your name! Sorry jojo!

JoJoSM2 Fri 12-Jul-19 11:02:25

We’ve visited the places and DS down for the Forest School. Collingwood I also know through parents at the school. Another one we’re going to visit is Banstead Prep. They have a few acres of grounds, do weekly forest school and the ethos seems to be all about trying different things, going to clubs, having a go at sports etc (from what I hear from parents).
I suppose a lot would also depend on what sort of place you want to live (Sutton is the safest borough in London, top state schools attracting professional families but a lot of it is dull suburbia...).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in