One child offered place and the other not

(8 Posts)
Loubylou79 Tue 25-Jun-19 16:21:03

We have recently had to think about moving our sons to a different school as their current school has no wrap around care and we need a school with breakfast and after school club. There are no options for childminders as none drop off at our current school. We need them to be at the same school also. We applied to another school for a September start. One child has a place offered and the other didn’t but is on the waiting list. They don’t know of anyone in his year planning to leave. My question I suppose is, do I accept the place for my oldest son and Hope at some point before September a place comes up for my youngest. If that doesn’t happen and we accept the place for my eldest, can we withdraw our acceptance so he can stay at his current school? Don’t know what the best thing to do is. Any advice would be appreciated

OP’s posts: |
NoSquirrels Tue 25-Jun-19 16:23:05

What years are they in? There is scope to appeal in KS2, but not before. I sympathise, it is a massive PITA.

Loubylou79 Tue 25-Jun-19 16:44:25

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately the one that didn’t get the place is KS1

OP’s posts: |
Ambydex Tue 25-Jun-19 17:26:43

Can you enquire where he is on the waiting list? So much depends on how far you are from the school, whether you're in catchment if there is a catchment system, how many classes in the school. I would weigh a load of factors in the decision that you haven't mentioned in your OP.

I think you can't hold 2 places, so in accepting the new place for your eldest, he would automatically lose the place at his current school. If there are spare places in your current school and/or you live super-close, then he should be able to get back in.

Do check with your LEA though. Ours is really good at explaining it all and the website has clear info.

NoSquirrels Tue 25-Jun-19 17:35:02

If you accept the place for older child, will it change your place on the waiting list (as KS1 child will then be a sibling.)

Can you cope with 2 school runs in the interim/short-term and is the new school significantly better (apart from the out of school provision)?

NoSquirrels Tue 25-Jun-19 17:38:13

Did you apply without enquiring first if there were places available? In this scenario I’d only be applying to schools with places in the right year groups - the admissions officer can tell you that, as can the individual schools.

Loubylou79 Tue 25-Jun-19 17:59:59

It’s a very small school and one class per year of 14 or so children. Second child is first on the waiting list which is good but again with only a small number of children, who knows. @nosquirrels...Yes I did go to the school and looked around and Asked about places. At that point there were places available but another child has taken the year 1 space as the application is to start in September. Their current school is undersubscribed and we are happy with it but just need the wrap around care. We could do 2 school runs for a short time but I suppose we run the risk of the second child not getting in for a year or so! Hope that answers all the questions.

OP’s posts: |


NoSquirrels Tue 25-Jun-19 18:17:04

OK, one class per year and a PAN of 14 is actually good news because that means the KS1 classes are well under the infant class size restriction on numbers so if the head & governors are sympathetic you could get in on appeal if they agree to exceed their PAN in favour of your DC. Talk to the school...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in