Talk

Advanced search

4 year old totally wired this term?

(4 Posts)
user1495827045 Wed 19-Jun-19 20:01:24

As title says my 4 year old son who is in reception (5 in July) has been totally wired the last 2 weeks of school. He won't switch off so is constantly playing with his maths cubes - adding/subtracting and is struggling to sleep and ends up reeling multiple things that have happened at school off to me. His bedtime is usually 6.30 but we are struggling to get him to go to sleep until at least 8.30 sometimes later. Anyone else? I know school are really testing/pushing them and discussing year 1 but he is then so tired and teary the next day sad

OP’s posts: |
ReganSomerset Wed 19-Jun-19 20:03:55

If you can, I'd give him a few days off school here and there. Until he turns five he doesn't legally have to be there so there will be no sanctions. Sounds like he needs to unwind a bit.

CripsSandwiches Thu 20-Jun-19 07:26:20

You might already be doing this but plenty of exercise after school, no screen time two hours before bed, nice warm bath, make sure he has lots of time to tell you about his day before bedtime, nice long bedtime story and calm down routine, if he keeps telling you more and more things instead of settling down say that he can tell you 3 things then to imagine putting the rest in a special box in his head to tell you tomorrow.

Like PP said it can't hurt to give him a day or two off if he's over tired.

Helix1244 Thu 20-Jun-19 09:50:09

Our school builds up towards end of terms so shows and spots says fayres etc. Which is unfortunate as they get more tired towards the end but are overexcited so then cant sleep.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in