Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Glasgow looking for primary schools

(8 Posts)
Julesoj Mon 10-Jun-19 11:41:54

I need help.... My husband is being relocated to Glasgow for his job (currently in Somerset) and we are looking for good primary schools with a pre school and I'm struggling to narrow them down. I'm hoping if I can narrow down the schools we can look for houses in those areas. We live in a lovely village now which is close to a town. The primary school is rated outstanding in Ofsted but I see Scotland have a different system and I can't see how to find the best rating schools.
Anyone recommend areas / villages for us?

Many thanks
X

OP’s posts: |
DirtyNell Mon 10-Jun-19 11:44:56

What’s your budget?
Where in Glasgow will he work- do you want a car or train commute?
Do you want a village again? Are you staying long enough to want a secondary school catchment?

DirtyNell Mon 10-Jun-19 11:47:18

Sorry! You said village in your OP. Have a look at Houston or Bridge of Weir - 20 min drive into the city, with excellent schools.

NeverSayFreelance Mon 10-Jun-19 12:01:18

Absolutely agree Houston or Bridge of Weir.

Julesoj Mon 10-Jun-19 12:12:53

Budget is £400k. At the moment just looking at primary but who knows how long it would be for. We both have cars so no need to bus or train commute.
I've been told the village of killearn is nice but that's it.

OP’s posts: |
ScottishMummy12 Mon 10-Jun-19 13:59:11

Giffnock and Newton Mearns are nice.
So is Bearsden, bishopbriggs and Lenzie. All easily commutable to the centre of Glasgow.

kaffkooks Mon 10-Jun-19 20:22:42

There is a lot less oversight in the Scottish education system than in the English one so no SATs and inspections are less frequent and much less rigorous. You could try looking at the Scottish Schools Dashboard. In terms of villages near Glasgow you could try villages in Stirlingshire such as Strathblane or Killearn or villages to the south of the city such as Eaglesham, Strahaven or Stewarton.

Verily1 Mon 10-Jun-19 20:32:11

You will get more replies if you post on the scotsnet board.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in