Should we have heard from primary school by now?

(17 Posts)
SoupySlide Tue 04-Jun-19 22:39:45

DD is due to start reception in September. She got one of our three choices and I confirmed I wanted the place. We haven't heard anything from the school yet. I was thinking they would contact us about an induction visit and either a parents information meeting, or at least some written information about it all.

If you've got a reception starter this year, have you been contacted by the school yet?

OP’s posts: |
TheBrockmans Tue 04-Jun-19 22:43:55

Often they wait until SATs all out of the way. There might be something on the calendar, if you are lucky. Welcome to the wonderful world of primary school where every parent can rustle up a toga/Victorian/WW2 outfit and authentic food plus attend special class assembly all with 48 hours notice. I would ring/ email the school, it probably is in the diary but no one has thought to tell the parents yet.

Fanjango Tue 04-Jun-19 22:45:03

From experience induction is done quite late in the term. As the year 6 prepare to leave with visits and weeks away that's when new intake are normally introduced to the school. I would expect as we are now in the final half term you will be hearing in the next couple of weeks a timetable of how they will do it.

SoupySlide Tue 04-Jun-19 22:58:21

Welcome to the wonderful world of primary school where every parent can rustle up a toga/Victorian/WW2 outfit and authentic food plus attend special class assembly all with 48 hours notice.

grin I have already had that pleasure, unfortunately, with stepchildren! So looking forward to that again.

I will give them some time then, hopefully will hear soon.

OP’s posts: |
FlibbertyGiblets Tue 04-Jun-19 23:03:55

Have a dibble around the school website, calendar in particular - you might find induction meeting listed. Or unearth an online newsletter with a passing reference.

RedSkyLastNight Wed 05-Jun-19 07:45:54

I think info is often be sent out just before or just after half term, so it may be on its way. I'd be tempted to ring the school and check if if there is still nothing by this time next week.

PantsyMcPantsface Wed 05-Jun-19 10:25:14

We've heard nothing from the juniors mine are transferring to. I wasn't expecting to hear anything until after SATs were out of the way.

Advertisement

pinkginandlemonade Wed 05-Jun-19 10:36:47

I had a letter confirming the place and then we had the reception starts meeting last night. This was for current nursery children moving to reception and for those new to the school.

I would be chasing personally

Charmatt Wed 05-Jun-19 11:53:46

Our schools are starting their induction meetings next week - I would ring the school and enquire. They won't have a problem with this at all. I hope your daughter has a fantastic time when she starts.

PCBananaHammock Wed 05-Jun-19 11:54:33

We informed our new parents immediately after the notification day about induction meetings, stay and plays, home visits etc. They have all been into school and provided us with their ID, we held the induction meeting for parents during SATs week, have held a 'nearly new' uniform sale for new parents and they have all signed up for home visits, stay and plays and individual meetings with the Early Years leader. She has also organised all her visits to the childrens' pre schools to talk about their progress with their teachers there.
I'm quite shocked to be honest that so many schools don't do it as early as us... It's really important in my opinion for new parents to feel secure and happy, and know what's going on, especially if they are new to the school.

I would phone the school and ask...

HelloMist Tue 11-Jun-19 11:17:33

I've found this thread helpful as have still not heard from ours. Looking at the calendar for last year, they had our induction day early July, but I think I may ring them if nothing in the post this morning. I've started buying uniform but want to make sure I am on the right track! And to know we are free on the induction day.

PCBanana, sounds like a very good and supportive approach at your school.

tumpymummy Wed 12-Jun-19 00:29:21

We have contacted all new reception parents and will be holding an induction eve in a few weeks. Why don't you contact the school and ask them?!

LaughAtGildedButterflies Wed 12-Jun-19 07:01:27

I'm pretty surprised, to be honest. Surely they should have checked your address evidence already if nothing else, in case any fraudulent offers need to be withdrawn? And it's getting pretty late notice for key transition dates. But then schools are understaffed and have masses on their plates. I'm not normally a hassler, but I think a gentle phone call would be appropriate, just to check they haven't got your address down wrong or something (it happens).

Muddlingalongalone Wed 12-Jun-19 23:42:18

We only got a pack through last Saturday- transition day is 2nd July (was already in school calendar, is a similar time each year & is borough-wide) and there is a meeting & children go into future classrooms on that day too.

HelloMist Wed 12-Jun-19 23:54:58

I rang up today and they said something is in the post, and that induction will be the 8th July. They have the date on their website calendar now too, but I don't know further details yet.

Quellium Wed 12-Jun-19 23:56:21

We've heard from ours, meeting is next Wednesday.

PantsyMcPantsface Thu 13-Jun-19 10:18:24

We've only had stuff from the juniors we're moving to through this week - fairly much the norm for it only to be coming out now. Induction days also tend to be where all the existing kids shuffle up for the day, the transition kids shuffle off to their new school for the day, and the new pupils come in for the day - which takes a lot of organising along the chain of schools as well.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in