Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How can I help my dd in PE?

(26 Posts)
Thomasina Thu 19-Jul-07 20:52:16

Just got her report (end of reception), she scored only 4 out of 9 for PE and is losing confidence in her abilities.

She is really good at swimming and has been able to ride a bike without stabilisers for six months (she is 5 and 2 months) but these things aren't in the equation at school, so she thinks she is no good at anything

She is also a really fast runner.

Just want to bolster her confidence and give her some help so she doesn't feel she's no good when she starts year 1. thanks.

Sheherazadethegoat Thu 19-Jul-07 20:56:27

don't do anything she sounds fantastic. wtf @ giving 5 year olds marks in anything but esp. pe.

honestly shrug it off.

Thomasina Thu 19-Jul-07 21:01:21

Oh, thank you. I know - it's so depressing, bloody marks, hate it.

she said the other day "I'm no good at anything, Mummy" - am gutted for her

princessmel Thu 19-Jul-07 21:02:19

What does 4 out of 9 for pe mean anyway? How odd.

Ask the teacher what she's not 'good' at.

NAB3 Thu 19-Jul-07 21:02:25

Who told her she had 4/9? Marks at 5 is pants.

southeastastra Thu 19-Jul-07 21:02:27

that's so bad giving marks for pe at that age! my son would score 2 and he's going into year 2

HedTwigg Thu 19-Jul-07 21:03:09

you go into school and have a serious talk with the headmaster, year teacher

this just isn't about your child failing .. this is about hte school failing

how feckin' dare they .. sport is fun, involving and about enjoyment .. do they not know anything?

I'm totally shocked by this

Hulababy Thu 19-Jul-07 21:03:20

I gave the mark you are referring to is the profile thingy?

So glad that DD's school don't issue them to parents. They just write a report base don all the key areas and write comments instead.

Sound slike your DD is doing fab as she is.

Thomasina Thu 19-Jul-07 21:04:07

yes, it's the foundation profile - they have to 'check' skills off

HedTwigg Thu 19-Jul-07 21:05:30

sorry that could be read two ways

your dd has not failed at anything .. it is the school that has failed

LeafTurner Thu 19-Jul-07 21:06:12

Oh I know how you feel - my dd (6.5) just got her report and the PE teacher says she "is not a natural athlete" ! I'm not either - but surely she shouldn't be written off at 6.5 ??

Thomasina Thu 19-Jul-07 21:07:02

do you think it is really awful, this profile thingy? we get a full report too - just these stupid marks at the end.

Thomasina Thu 19-Jul-07 21:08:12

LT, it's so annoying, isn't it! especially as she is really good at some things, just not at sodding skipping or some other things on the bloody checklist.

so don't want her put off sport.

castlesintheair Thu 19-Jul-07 21:09:48

Yes I think it is far too young to be giving them marks. DS has just finished reception as well and only got a written report. I hate all this box ticking.

Thomasina Thu 19-Jul-07 21:10:47

God, I hate our school sometimes!

southeastastra Thu 19-Jul-07 21:12:19

it's crazy and think how much time the teachers have to take to do these reports. mad

cat64 Thu 19-Jul-07 21:15:55

Message withdrawn

Thomasina Thu 19-Jul-07 21:34:48

oh no - she doesn't know what marks she has for anything, or even that they have marks - think it must be a sense that she couldn't 'do' many of the things she's been asked to do in PE, iyswim!

cat64 Thu 19-Jul-07 22:01:15

Message withdrawn

Thomasina Thu 19-Jul-07 22:04:17

sorry to confuse!

she can't skip and isn't very good at throwing, catching, I think this is why she's saying she can't do anything in PE!

anyone know what they're actually scored on? (gggr, am succumbing to sodding scores)

Sheherazadethegoat Thu 19-Jul-07 22:05:22

skipping is really hard. my friends dd is 7 and just learnt to do it. please don't stress and hopefully your dd will forget about it over teh summer

Thomasina Thu 19-Jul-07 22:13:16

yeah, SO wish we broke up tomorrow - tempted to keep her off next Mon-Wed, she is so tired

katelyle Thu 19-Jul-07 22:16:15

I am outraged at all these threads about children being given marks - and "failing" marks at that in Reception. I have a year 1 chold and had nothing like this in his report - is it new?
I would be in there like a shot - how very dare they categorize 5 year olds like this?

FunMumm Thu 19-Jul-07 22:19:54

how does she know she only got 4 out of 9? Why would anyone tell her that?

Thomasina Thu 19-Jul-07 22:22:45

hang on, hang on - sorry, don't mean to confuse, she doesn't know her marks but is very aware of what she can 'do' and what she can't, and what the others can/can't do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now